AU: A soul for a soul

A/N– Hello, dear readers who are probably traumatized by my story :)

As a thank you for reaching 100k (again, you guys are the best), I decided to write different bonus chapters for this fanfic. Instead of canon one shots, these will be AUs, basically What-If imagines and they're not canon!

So, enjoy this one!

"Alright. Bring it down low. Right on that line. That's it. Down, down." Rhodey helps Nebula to guide down a pod off the Benatar while Steve and Eve look through the deserted and foggy landscape of Morag. Both soldiers know that these are the traces of a long lost war ages ago and just share a knowing glance. The violet-rosy sky is the only thing that is beautiful on this space planet, even the animals look awful.

Eve glances in disgust at the slimy lizard-like creature on the ground and shoots a little voltage at it, causing it to hiss. "Okay, this place is absolutely ugly."

Steve chuckles, shaking his head. "Luckily, we don't have to do this ever again. Earth is still my favorite planet."

"Home sweet home." Eve agrees with a longing glance, the age mirrored in her green eyes. "I remember the days when we were the weirdest things around."

"Aw, are the senior citizens getting all nostalgic?" Rhodey asks jokingly when he walks towards them, catching the last bit of their conversation. Nebula follows him down.

"Ha ha." Eve rolls her eyes playfully but ends up smirking. She pulls Rhodey into a brief hug. "Be careful. If I don't bring you back to Tony in one piece, I'll lose my position as Morgan's godmother."

"That would be such a bummer, I need my godparent partner." He replies cheekily and smiles. "Take care, okay? Take that stone and come back. No messing around."

"Yeah, don't worry." She then nods at Nebula, knowing that the Guardian despises hugs, so they always share a respectful nod.

"You got this." Steve encourages them and pats Rhodey's shoulder, the two sharing a grave look.

"Let's get it done." Rhodey says determinedly and the two soldiers out of time start to walk to the Benatar. Before they disappear in the ship, he calls for them one more time. "You guys watch each other's six."

Both turn around and Eve waves to them with a tiny smile ghosting over her lips. She and Steve then enter the ship and take their seats in the cockpit. While Steve sits down on the pilot's chair, Eve presses the left button and the hatch closes behind them. The Benatar takes off, speeding out of Morag's atmosphere.

Eve is pressed against her seat as cosmic colors are jumping into her sight, but this time, she's not as anxious as the first time when she's been in space. Her glance shifts over to Steve who actually smiles at her.

"We're a long way from Brooklyn." He says with the corner of his lips tipped up and this makes Eve chuckle lightly.

The speed slows down as soon as they reach their destination and the big planet that is engulfed in a pink mist faces them. They have arrived on Vormir. Steve and Eve stand up, staring in astonishment at the breath-taking miracle in front of them.

"If it weren't for the circumstances, this would be actually beautiful." Steve mumbles and Eve nods.

"Imagine if we went with Tony back to New York. We would've missed out on this view." She just responds and the ship lands itself down, still being on autopilot. "Vormir looks better than whatever Morag was."

"Yeah, we've got lucky." He half smiles and they get off the ship.

The desert is bathing in the violet light as the small lagoons mirror the soothing color as well, the air is crisp and chilly compared to the atmosphere on Morag. The solar eclipse hides behind Vormir's clouds and Eve can't help but think that this place is aesthetically beautiful and terrifying at the same time. There's just a big mountain covered in snow in front of them, so it's the only possibility where the Soul Stone could be.