22. A new Family

2 0 1 9

"Pardoning Barton is not as easy as you might think. It already took a lot to pardon you three for being fugitives and to revoke the Sokovia Accords but I can't take the responsibility for his actions now." Everett Ross sighs, trailing Eve as she stubbornly walks through the headquarter. It's been ten months since she had seen Clint in Ukraine and Natasha is doing everything to find him.

"I can." Eve only responds sharply and stops to look at Agent Ross. "I know what he's doing is wrong but at least, he doesn't kill innocent people. We have to focus on other things right now, let Romanoff take care of him."

"Alright." Throughout the months of cooperation, Agent Ross has realized how stubborn the woman out of time can be. He looks at the tablet, checking on all updates. "The orphanage we built in Washington is doing great, there's enough space for the kids and some even got adopted."

"Okay, that's good news. What about the one here in New York?" She asks further, continuing the walk back to his office.

"Just finished the renovation. Everything's going according to plan." He lets out a relieved sigh. "Everyone's also going back to school or work. Captain Rogers is doing a great job with the support groups. The world is moving on."

Eve hesitates and slows down her pace. Yeah, everyone is moving on. Everyone but me. She knows that keeping herself busy with all the missions and orphanages won't prevent her from dealing with the grief forever. "What's the next mission?"

"What do you mean?" Ross frowns as they arrive in front of his office.

"The next mission." She repeats, tilting her head. "There's for sure some crime going anywhere."

"Believe it or not, right now, the crime rate is lower than it has ever been before. Apart from the problem with Barton, there are no major conflicts we can't handle without you." He opens the door and places his hand on her shoulder. "Take this week off. You've been working nonstop since you helped us to handle the world."

"There... are no missions?" Eve furrows her brows and can already feel how her anxiety settles in.

"No missions." Ross shakes his head and lets go, offering her a kind smile. "I'll let you know if you're needed, Barnes. Enjoy your vacation."

He then walks into his office and Eve stands on the corridor, several people passing her and shooting her respectful glances or nods. She blinks a few times before she takes out her phone, contacting the next person who might have a mission for her.

"Hey, Okoye. How is it going in Wakanda?" Eve puts on a straight face as the General's one appears on the hologram.

"The Queen is ruling the country well and M'Baku is a great help." Okoye reports but she narrows her eyes when she senses how nervous Eve seems to be. "Is something wrong, Eve?"

"No, just checking in. Just call me if you need help. If not, see you at the monthly conference call." Eve hangs up, feeling how Okoye has become suspicious about the call. Before Eve can dial Aurora's number, something the auburn-haired has modified for her, Tony's number appears on the screen. With a relieved sigh, she picks up. "Thank, God, hey– "

"Come to the hospital, now!" He yells into her ear and she is startled by the panic in his voice.

"Which one??" Eve asks without hesitation and after he splutters the name, she hangs up and runs to the said hospital. She could also take a car, but right now, she feels like letting out all the anxiety and stress by racing to Tony.