24. Better By Myself

2 0 2 3

"Suspect might be hiding in the current location, though I have no confirmation yet, over." Eve reports against her wrist in a determined tone. She walks through the meadow and gets closer to the hiding place, the grass slightly shifting due to her light and swift movement. With narrowed eyes, she spots the suspect's figure and a smirk arises on her lips. Finally arriving at the tree, Eve kneels down. "Suspicion confirmed, over. Do I have permission for entry, little monkey?"

"Permission granted, soldier." Morgan leaves her hiding place and jumps into Eve's arms. Her aunt laughs at the sudden attack and gets up, carrying her.

"You're strong, monkey. Good for me that I'm a super-soldier, otherwise you'd beat me." Eve chuckles and walks with her godchild in her arms through the field close to the Avengers compound. "Let's go back to your mom and dad, shall we?"

"I don't go, you're carrying me." She corrects her with a little grin and Eve can't help but think how much alike Morgan and Tony are. Aside from the brown hair and eyes, the youngest Stark is also incredibly intelligent for her age and sometimes even too sassy.

"Almost stronger than me, and definitely smarter. You make me look pretty old, Morgan."

"You are 104 years old, aunt Eve." She reminds her and now Eve thinks Morgan is showing too much of Tony's side.

"Oh, shush." Eve only responds and they are back in the compound where Pepper and Tony are drinking coffee on the porch, enjoying their little peace. Morgan climbs onto Tony's lap and his face immediately lightens up by his daughter's presence.

"Aunt Eve and I played mission again and we discussed her age." She tells him excitedly and Tony dedicates her all of his attention.

"Is that so? I don't think it's polite to talk about a woman's age, Morguna." He smiles endearingly at her and Eve sits down on the free chair next to the parents and their child. "Is there anything that you want to tell your aunt for playing with you?"

Morgan nods and smiles at Eve. "Thank you, aunt Eve. I love you 104."

"Love you, too, monkey." Eve feels like her heart has just melted.

"Come on, Morgan, let's go inside and eat something." Pepper suggests, getting up from her chair and Morgan climbs off Tony's lap. "What do you want?"

"Cheeseburger!" The girl exclaims and they go together hand in hand into the building. Tony and Eve look at mother and daughter until they're out of sight and the billionaire glances at his best friend, Rhodey not counting. He doesn't think he'll ever get used to seeing Eve with short hair, the curls barely touch her shoulder now. And Tony doesn't need to guess why she kept the black color. She's doing it for Bucky, Wanda, and Sam.

"You're the only one cleaning the compound?" Tony breaks their silence and refers to the fact that she lives all alone. Eve's glance shifts to him and she can already sense his concern.

"Nat helps me sometimes."

"What about Steve?" He brings him up, even though Steve and Eve are still separated. They saw each other once or twice a year, but it was only briefly.

"Leaves birthday and Christmas drawings." Eve shrugs and leans against her chair, slightly narrowing her eyes at the glaring sun. "Get to the point, Tony."