12. The Battle of Wakanda

W A K A N D A

"And? How are you feeling?" Bucky asks worriedly, his hand lying on Eve's back. Since the fatigue from the New York battle seems to be overwhelming due to her body still adjusting to Thor's power, Bruce and Shuri gave her an injection that will supply her with proteins and a little kick of adrenaline. Bruce mixed it up for her and now Eve feels much better, more awake and sober.

"Actually good. The injection does wonders." She assures him and tests the steadiness of her gauntlets by moving her wrists and balling her fists. Relief spreads through her chest and she's grateful that she's not too tired to fight against Thanos' army. She requires all of her power for that battle now. "I don't know how but Thor's strength has really grown."

"How we looking, Bruce?" Natasha's voice runs through Eve's earpiece as she stands with T'Challa, Okoye, Steve and Bucky on a hovercraft, a troupe of guards accompanying them to the border. They gather the army together to be prepared for the upcoming fight and it is odd how Eve's heart barely races in fear. Rather it beats steadily and confidently. It's like her mind is welcoming the war once again, as if it never left.

"Yeah, I think I'm getting the hang of it." Bruce responds through the communication system in the Hulkbuster, joy eventually invading his voice. He catches up with the team in the large armor. "Wow, this is amazing, man! It's like being the Hulk without actually– " He is suddenly cut off and Eve turns around, only to see how Okoye judges Bruce's downfall but he quickly gets up. "I'm okay, I'm okay."

"I've got two heat signatures breaking through the tree line." Rhodey informs them on the line as he and Sam already fly ahead. The closer they come to the dome, the more visible the extraterrestrial containers are to Eve. They're titanium and whatever's inside there, it'll lead to a big and violent fight. As the groups arrive, everyone gets off the hovercrafts and the war chant of M'Baku's tribe fills the tense air. T'Challa briefly talks to his ally and brother before he chooses his representatives.

"Follow me." He orders Steve and Eve and they both obey silently. Eve shoots one last glance at her husband before the three walk ahead to the border. Eve immediately recognizes Cull Obsidian and suppresses an annoyed groan, she was hoping that he would be dead or defeated. The female alien with the blue hair and horns like a devil on the other hand is unknown to her. A quick glance at Steve informs her that he must have met her already. Thanos' children glare at the three with contempt and Eve huffs.

"Isn't one of your friends missing? The grey, ugly one?" She refers provokingly to Ebony Maw and Proxima Midnight narrows her eyes, not delighted by her greeting.

"You will pay for the damage with your life. Thanos will have that stone." It relieves Eve that Tony has succeeded on the spaceship and she's glad she subtly could get that information from Proxima Midnight.

"That's not gonna happen." Steve stands up to her with a deep voice.

"You are in Wakanda now." King T'Challa announces, "Thanos will have nothing but dust and blood."

"We have blood to spare." With these words, Proxima Midnight raises her arm, ordering the containers to be activated.

T'Challa signals Steve and Eve to go back to the groups as they follow his lead. It is beginning now and Eve glances at Wakanda's King. "I'm sorry for dragging you into this mess and risking the lives of you and your people, your highness. If there was another way, I would choose it."