32. Already Gone

1 9 7 0

"I hate this." Eve mumbles, feeling more than uncomfortable in her skirt, blouse and blazer. She's used to being a soldier, to be the fist of a mission, not to be dressed and disguised as a secretary. Thanks to her new hair, nobody will recognize her while Steve has more problems with that. "Why do I have to act like your secretary again?"

"Because soldiers don't have one. And you can't dress up as a soldier, female ones are more eye-catching." Tony shrugs and smirks. "Besides I like the feeling of having more power than you."

"How mature of you." She deadpans and Steve sighs as they're walking through the Camp Lehigh Army Base, the official birth place of Captain America.

"Okay, guys, focus." He reminds them and tries to stay low. It's actually exciting for Eve to be in the seventies, she's always wanted to learn more about the other decades.

"Clearly, you weren't actually born here, right?" Tony questions with a tilted head, calling bullshit.

"God, imagine." Eve comments with her New Yorker pride and even Steve isn't too fond of the change of his birth place.

"The idea of me was." Steve responds, placing his sunglasses properly on his nose. As they look through the area, they're trying to find the location of the Tesseract and Pym particles.

"Right. Well, imagine you're SHIELD, running a quasi-fascistic intelligence organization. Where do you hide it?" Tony asks and Steve stares straight forward.

"In plain sight." He nods towards the suspiciously useless building in the corner and Tony and Eve follow his glance. Tony analyzes the construction with his glasses, nodding in confirmation and motioning the two soldiers to follow him. As they go to the building, Tony gives Eve his glasses, just in case people will recognize her face.

Entering the elevator, the three are stuck with a SHIELD agent and now Eve realizes it was a bad idea to take Steve with them. He was America's war face that used to be printed on every fan article or poster, and a cap and uniform won't be enough to disguise his identity for sure. As the woman glances at them suspiciously, Tony and Eve try to step inconspicuously forward to cover Steve.

The elevator arrives at the first destination, Eve and Tony have to leave. The latter turns to the soldier, nodding. "Good luck on your mission, Captain."

"Good luck on your... project, Doctor." Steve's hesitation and inability to lie is clearly audible and Eve tilts her head at him when she and Tony are out of the elevator. As soon as the door closes, she groans.

"Jesus, you two suck at undercover missions."

"Shut up." Tony murmurs and looks around. "Since you have the glasses, feel free to analyze the floor, so we can find the Tesseract. It should be the cube-shaped thing that radiates the highest energy."

The glasses scan the floor and then show her the way to the archive at the end of the corridor since the heat radiation there is pretty strong.

"This way." She starts to jog to the location, Tony following her closely. As they arrive there, the archive is luckily empty and the two walk to the box. "It's in here."

"Gotcha." Tony grabs a random suitcase and empties it before activating the Iron Man glove with his nanotech. Cutting the box open with a laser, the Tesseract now faces them with its bright light and he clutches it to put it safely into the case. "Back in the game."

"Yes!" Eve beams and they close the suitcase. "Now let's go back to St– "

"Arnim, you in there?" A foreign voice echoes through the archive and the two panic. "Arnim???"