Chapter 1

Quarter past eight.

Yoobin checked her watch again and ran her slender fingers through her shoulder-length dark hair in agitation. She then checked the side mirror and once more sighed at the traffic lights that refused to turn green.

"It's okay, Yoobin. We're not going to be late." Siyeon reassured her sister from beside her.

"I've never driven you to school before, I have the right to panic a little. And I only wanted to today because it was snowing badly." She glared at the falling white particles and turned the windscreen wiper on.

"You're a great police officer, why are you so nervous?" Siyeon laughed easily, the sound full of affection. "Anyway, it's only quarter past eight. Form starts at twenty to nine."

"If you say so." Yoobin allowed herself to relax as the lights turned green and she took the handbrake off.

***

She stopped outside of the school gates, noting Siyeon's agitation as she put the handbrake on. Her sister was tense and fidgety, playing with her backpack strap as her neck turns pink.

Yoobin can't help but have a little smile on her face as she saw the characteristics of someone hiding something. And knowing Siyeon, it must be...

"That's great, Yoobin, tha--" Siyeon attempted to hurry out of the car.

"Wait." She commanded, using the same tone she did with suspects during interrogation. When she was sure Siyeon wouldn't bolt, she peered out at the passing students.

It didn't take long for her to find the target and smiled to herself as a boy walked towards them, looking to be around Siyeon's age and had a cute mole under his left eye. He walked alone with earphones in, buts pauses to grin at another boy, where she sees a hint of his front bunny teeth.

A quick look at a furiously-blushing Siyeon confirmed her thought.

"Studying comes before boys, Siyeon." She warned lightly and looked back towards the boy curiously.

"Bye, Yoobin!" Siyeon practically leapt out of the car to avoid having to answer her and swung bag onto her back.

"Siyeon!" The boy himself noticed Siyeon appear from the car and greeted her with a wave and bright, genuine smile.

Siyeon smiled back and mumbled a greeting. "Heya, Daniel." Nervously, she looked up into his face and flushed the instance her eyes met his. Not lingering too long, she lowers her head and turned to rush through the school gates. Spinning too fast on the icy ground, she slipped to the side.

Daniel caught her arms with careful hands and beamed down at her, the smile never leaving his face.

"Careful." He said lightly and righted her.

"Thanks." She reddened and sprinted away.

Yoobin chuckled to herself and grinned at Siyeon's unintentional antics. Her eyes looked up to Daniel, still smiling. But suddenly, the smile stretched cruelly on his angelic face where no one could see but her and Yoobin shivered as a feeling of foreboding came to her.

Yoobin searched his eyes through her car window, but they had become scarily empty and dark. As if he could sense her watching, his eyes narrowed and found hers. She instantly looked away, but didn't miss the grin split his face even further.

With a smooth twist of her wrist, Yoobin started the car and drove off.

Though it was foolish to mistrust Daniel from that one expression, she could read faces well enough to know that there was intelligence and cruel amusement behind that face, along with other things she couldn't quite read.