1. Remember Me

-----------

-----------

The National - About Today

"Tonight
You just close your eyes
And I just watch you
Slip away."

"COME ON, HURRY UP, MISS GILBERT," Holden smirked at Elena as he climbed up a small hill. Elena groaned lowly as she held onto her backpack. "Nobody likes losers."

The two were taking a hike through the woods as Elena felt already drained from walking like a human being. "I'm tired," Elena groaned before climbing up. Holden extended his hand for her to take so she did and he helped her before pulling her into his embrace. Elena chuckled as he touched her cheek.

"It's your first summer as a vampire. I want you to remember it as a good one," he commented while stroking her rosy cheek. Elena leaned into his touch before Holden pulled away. "Let's go. If we're quick enough, which we are, we will be able to see the sunset."

Elena smirked as she followed after the love of her life.

Elena opened her eyes to stare into her dorm room's wall before sitting up. It's been four months and finally summer was over. The girl quickly got out of bed before changing and leaving her dorm room.

It didn't take long for her to appear in the cemetery, outside of Mystic Falls as she wandered alone through the woods. "Today will be a good day. Summer is officially over and I couldn't be more thrilled."

Elena looked around the crypt quickly before taking a step inside. She stopped at the entrance before nodding her head. "Sophomore year... I guess this is the year to pick a major and start carving out your path in life. So that's what I did. You're looking at the future Doctor Elena Gilbert."

Elena lit several candles in the crypt with a longing look on her face.

The other day:

Elena was dressed in khakis and maroon t-shirts along with another dozen students as they began their internship at a hospital. "Pop quiz," a doctor Josette Laughlin began as they all stopped. "Mr. Weatherly complains of chest pain and shortness of breath. Can anyone tell me what tests we run?"

A young male student lifted his hand up, but the doctor looked at Elena, who didn't look back. "Gilbert..."

Elena looked back at her with a frazzled look before quickly regaining her composure. "Uh... a pulmonary angiogram provides a clear picture of the blood flow in the arteries of the lungs, which is what we look for in a pulmonary embolism; a condition in which Mr. Weatherly's symptoms are common."