22.1 Hold Me

-----------

-----------

Bon Iver - Re:Stacks

"This is not the sound of a new man
Or a crispy realization
It's the sound of me unlocking and you lift away
Your love will be
Safe with me."

1990, somewhere near New York:

HOLDEN WAS EXCITED. When Allison told him she was in labor about to give birth he was ecstatic. Roza had died not so long ago and now her grandchild is going to be born and Holden couldn't wait but to love her as his own.

He didn't care when Allison told him not to come because her husband would be confused as to who he was and why he was there but he didn't listen. To see his dearest friend's child give birth made him feel worthy to live.

Allison was never close to Holden but she respected him because he was her mom's best friend for so many years. Her husband, on the other hand, was annoyed and clearly in a need to get him out. "I served, sir," he said as he, Holden and Allison who kept panting from contractions were all in the hospital room, minutes away from Allison finally giving birth.

"That's good to hear," Holden smiled sarcastically as Allison rolled her eyes angrily and called her husband to get back to her. Holden looked back at Allison. "Do you know how you'll name her?"

Allison groaned from pain again and gripped her husbands hand tightly as she looked back at Holden. "Izabella or something. That's my mom's mother's name."

"Izzie. I like it," Holden smiled as the husband rolled his eyes. Allison had told him briefly that Holden was her distant friend who was good friends with her mom even if their age was completely different.

"No. You won't nickname my baby girl," Allison sneered while shaking her head as she cried out in pain. "Oh my god! It's starting!"

"I'll get the doctor," the husband dashed out as Holden moved towards the door.

"I know you don't like me, Allison," he then said as she continued to breathe in and out. "But I will take care of Izzie until her last breath. Just like I'll try and take care of you. Even if your stubborn."

Holden then smiled and left the room as Allison let out a tear and nodded.

Holden heard a loud cry of pain and pulled his aching body away from Izzie who stared at him in deep shock and pain. "Izzie..." he mumbled and saw a piece of glass in her stomach, piercing her right through. "Oh, Izzie. Let me help you."