Chapter one_(01)

••You can't be perfect,
Cause you were not meant to be••

         "Oh Lord! They aff swear for this girl o!" Mary exclaimed and covered her mouth with her hands as she stared at the screen of her phone.

I eyed her warily and then decided to ask what was wrong even though I was 100% sure it would be something trivial; that girl is just the perfect definition of a drama queen.

"What is it again o?" I asked as I inched closer to her on my bed, making my purple dress ride up my thighs.

"Nawa o! Can you believe this Stephanie girl sha! See what she's wearing in this picture she posted," she said, showing me the picture she was talking about. I took a look at the light-skinned girl in the picture, wearing an off-shoulder Ankara mini-gown with white Nike sneakers. She looked pretty cool and even though she was one of the popular girls at school with their own group and all that popularity shit, I couldn't deny the fact that she was pretty.

"Mary, there's nothing wrong with this picture o. So I don't understand why you're screaming," I rolled my eyes again and continued my task of packing provisions into my small, red traveling box. We were moving into the school hostel as a new term was starting and we ss3 students needed to study hard for the upcoming WAEC exams without any "distractions," according to our oh-so-lovely principal.

"Honestly, how can you say that! See how she's wearing sneakers on Ankara! Later you'll be calling yourself fashion police, mtcheeew! Oshi!" She hissed at me and continued scrolling through her IG feeds. I shook my head and didn't bother to dignify her with a reply cause I knew we would just start an unnecessary fight.

Mary could be so opinionated and conceited at times and she never takes advices from people but she was my best friend. We'd been together since primary school as our parents were friends and I was used to her bratty ways already. She could be really sweet and funny too, but her bratty side just got the best of her most times.

"Honey are you ready?" I looked up as my mom opened my door and peeped in.

"Almost," I said and increased my pace in packing my stuff.

"Alright, come down for breakfast when you're done and don't forget to pack your drugs too, okay?" She said with a smile and I forced one in return.

"Okay ma." And her head disappeared from the doorway as the door closed behind her with a click. A sigh escaped my lips and I rolled my eyes as I threw in my Victoria's secret makeup purse that contained my drugs and not what it was really made for in the box, and then zipped it shut. My mom was more like a distant aunt in my life and the few times she's around, she tries to act like a mother but it just doesn't work. I don't exactly hate her, but I don't think I love her either. We're all just there, calling ourselves a family when we're really not. I'm sure you want to know about my dad, but I can assure you, my mom is even better compared to him. At least she tries when she gets the chance; he doesn't even bother trying.

"Why are you looking like a deflated balloon?" Mary's voice snapped me out of my reverie and I stood up from the bed, straightening out my gown; I didn't want Mom to start complaining about me not looking prim.

"Nothing. I'm going downstairs for breakfast, wanna join?" I quickly changed topic, even though I knew she would never fall for that.