Chapter fourteen_(14)

••Showers of doom,
and clouds of grief••

       "Let's all please have a minute silence for a very respectable man that the Lord took away from us recently, to rest in His eternal embrace," Principal Martins announced and shock constricted my throat as my eyes flew up to look at him. Some students were murmuring, wondering who had died and I prayed the principal wouldn't say my name—maybe someone else had died before we resumed the midterm break.

"May the good lord help the Smith's family through this period of grief. As we all know, Mayowa has been a good student all year round and I implore you all to be of assistance to her through this trying time," He continued and my teeth clenched tightly, my hands balling into fists as the silence that took over the assembly hall aggravated my growing anger.

I do not need anybody's assistance! Shut the hell up Mr. Martins!

The one minute silence soon came to an end, after which the obnoxious principal said a short prayer, made some school related announcements and then finally released us from the torture called assembly.

Many students gave me pitying glances as we all walked to our various classes and I wanted nothing more than to punch principal Martins in his freaking face; some even had the audacity to point at me and whisper gossip amongst their friends.

"Hey," a voice called from behind me and I continued walking, not wanting to deal with Wilson at the moment. I was too angry. "Hey, stop." He persisted and I quickened my pace, but he was faster and I almost tripped as his hand wrapped around my balled up fist to pull me back.

"What do you want!" I forced out between clenched teeth as I came face to face with him, my chest heaving up and down from the anger radiating through me.

"We have a few minutes before first period, so will you please calm down and listen to me?" He said calmly, unfazed by my attitude. We hadn't talked since the time I told him to stay away from me and every time he sat beside me during breakfast, lunch and dinner, a part of me wished he would just talk to me.

Reluctantly, I let him lead me to the school garden and we settled on one of the stone benches, me facing away from him. My anger was quickly dissipating into hurt and I didn't want him to see me cry.

"Hey, are you okay?" Wilson asked softly and I couldn't help the snort that escaped my lips as I turned to face him, a surely ugly sneer on my face.

"What do you think?" my voice sounded like a sharp cutting knife.

Wilson swallowed and stayed silent for a few minutes,  staring at me and trying not to let pity show on his face. He probably figured that would only aggravate me more.

"I'm sorry," he whispered softly and the rest of my anger vanished at the softness of his voice and the way his eyes held so much genuineness. I stared at him for a long while, trying not to cry, but I could only hold on for so long. The tears came unwillingly and I let Wilson pull me into a hug as I soaked his uniform shirt with my salty tears.

"It hurts even more because I can't even miss him!" I screamed into his chest, my words muffled by my tears. "I want to! But I can't and it's killing me that I can't!" I continued, not knowing why I was saying all this to Wilson—like he cares. But he just patted my back silently, letting me vent all I wanted.

"It hurts so much..." I heard myself say in a small whisper, feeling suddenly very tired as a blanket of sleep fell over me. My eyes drooped, a residue of tears rolling down my cheeks in one last stroll and everything that happened next felt like a dream. I was partially aware, but not awake.

Wilson kissed my forehead lightly and said I would be okay and I felt my body being lifted up into his arms. I snuggled closer into his chest and finally let go of the little consciousness I still had, letting sleep take over completely.

   "Hey, are you okay?" Mary asked, sitting on my bed with half of her butt like she couldn't wait to get up and I gave her an intense look, forcing her to look away from me.

Why is she even here?!
"What do you think?" I answered, my gaze unwavering as I watched her squirm uncomfortably under my scrutiny.

Wilson had brought me to my room after I fell asleep and he'd gone to class afterwards. I woke up a few hours after, scared and all but I found the note he'd left, saying he would explain to principal Martins and that he was sure the teachers would understand.

Mary had come in while I contemplated whether to go to the cafeteria for lunch or just hold in my hunger, and I couldn't help the anger that welled up in me from her question.

"I'm sorry, I'm really s-" she started to say but the door opening cut her off. Faith and her roommate, Ada, walked in and they rushed to pull me into a hug immediately, almost knocking Mary off the bed in the process.

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry! I would have come to your house during the break, but no one knew why you suddenly left school. We just heard that your mom came to pick you up," Faith rushed, her big eyes reflecting so much pity, I wanted to back away. But I managed a weak smile and told them it was fine.

"Things like this really suck, but you'll be fine. With time, you'll get over it," Ada chimed in, not looking at me with any ounce of pity at all. All I observed from her was a mild sadness that clouded her dark eyes like she'd been through something similar many times and was familiar with the gloominess of death.

"Thank you guys, really, thanks a lot." I said with a small smile and Faith set down her bag on my bed and brought out something wrapped up from it.

"We figured you wouldn't want to come into the cafeteria for lunch, so we convinced the lunch ladies to let us bring some food for you," Faith beamed as she handed me the food, her braces glinting cutely. Ada opened her own bag and handed me a bottle of water and small box of orange juice and I just stared at both of them, lips trembling as I struggled to hold back tears. How in the world had I gotten so lucky.

"You guys, you didn't really ha-"

"Oh well, I guess I'd better eat these myself then." Mary's disappointed voice came as I watched her stuff a wrapped burger back into her bag and stood up. I'd even forgotten she was still there.

I watched her leave, my heart still breaking but my pride still too intact to call her back.

"What's up with her?" Ada asked, her deep voice booming as she now occupied Mary's previous space to get more comfortable.

"Just ignore jare. Have you guys eaten?" I waved the matter off, not wanting to linger on my broken friendship.

Faith was silent for a second, her eyes holding a weird heavy look, but then maybe I'd been imagining it because before I could blink, she was back to her usual bubbly self, unwrapping my food for me as her and Ada started filling me in on different gist’s I'd missed during the break.