Chapter three_(03)

I am just a lost girl,
In this cruel world

      Waking up to bright lights and white walls, I realized I was in the school sickbay. A heavy sigh escaped my lungs as I remembered the previous events that brought me there and I wanted to slap myself hard. I just hoped Mary was okay.

I sat up on the bed and looked around but the place was empty. The nurse was probably in her office and I really needed to pee but the drips injected into my hand wouldn't let me. I let out a sigh and almost threw my dignity aside to yell for the nurse when the door opened and Mary walked in.

"Mary! I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" I exploded immediately, concern and guilt eating me up.

"It's okay, I'm fine. How are you feeling?" She said, her eyes looking anywhere but at me.

"I'm better...I guess. Are you really okay?" I asked again, the guilt really eating me up now.

"Yes oh. The vase missed me and hit the floor instead. So, yeah I'm good," she shrugged and a sigh of relief escaped my lips. Her long braids were let loose as usual, with sparkly adornments twisted into them and she looked so different from me in her pink crop top and high-waist bum shorts. Sometimes, I really wondered how we became best friends with so very different personalities. I loved her though, in spite of her flaws. She was the only person that understood me and accepted me for who I was.

"Why are you looking like a deflated balloon?" I tried using her famous line to jeer her up cause she was obviously still annoyed about what happened, and I really felt bad and wanted to show her that I did. I just didnt know how.

"Don't steal my line bitch," she finally looked at me and a smile curved her glossed lips—the smile Id been waiting for. I felt the strings around my heart loosen and my guilt vanished as she pulled me into a hug and I knew everything was okay.

"I'm really sorry," the need to really apologize was overwhelming and I got the confirmation that my apology was accepted as her arms tightened around me.

"You can't kill me oh! better go and tell the people that sent you that me I'm omo-sango and nobody can kill me. I'm unkillable!" She exclaimed, causing me to laugh loudly as we pulled apart from the hug.

"Abeg Miss Unkillable, mo fe to. Ejo e ba mi pe nurse wa," (please miss unkillable, I need to pee. Please help me call the nurse) I said, as the need to pee got overwhelming and I watched her lips curve up into an evil smile.

"So you want to pee eh? Pee on the bed," she cackled evilly and began sashaying towards the door.

"Mary now, please!" I resorted to begging. Chai this girl ehn!

"Pee on the bed baby girl! Ciao!" She laughed and ran out of the room.

"Maryyyyyyy!!!!"

  "Thank you," I said to nurse Ife as she helped me down from the bed.

Seriously why is she treating me like I almost died!

"You're welcome. Please come back later for check up oh. If not that classes begin tomorrow, I wouldn't let you go yet," she said and handed me a book where everyone that came to the sickbay wrote their names. It's like an attendance book to know how many times the students visited the sickbay and why.

"Okay o," I said and wrote my name in the ledger. For the nature of illness part, I just scribbled something about a seizure. There was no point hiding it, the school management knows already, because they take every students medical records before you get admitted into the school. So, my seizures werent a new thing. Most Yoruba people would call my condition, warapa—which means, epilepsy in English—but it was actually far from it. My condition was combined with a personality disorder, so that made it worse than a regular epileptic condition.

Nurse Ife smiled and nodded at me and I made my way out of the sickbay to the reception; I hadn't collected my schedule earlier...

"Yes! This year is officially a-mazing!" Mary screamed as she saw my schedule. Here we go again...

"What's amazing about school? Besides you don't even know what those annoying teachers have in store for us. Just because we're in the same dorm and we have most classes together doesn't mean the year is officially a-mazing," I rolled my eyes and pulled my leg up on my bed. I don't even know why Mary was happy, cause we weren't even put in the same room; just the same dormitory.

"Abegi! You you're always pessimistic on your own. It's officially amazing because, whatever hell we'll go through, it'll be together." She grinned and I shook my head, muttering crazy goat under my breath.

"Hmn? Did you say something?" She raised a brow and started flexing her fingers...obviously for a tickle war. I inched away from her and quickly shook my head, shouting 'nothing' but she wasn't falling for that.

"You called me a crazy goat didn't you?" She asked and jumped on me, tickling me till my ribs felt like they were on fire. I laughed so hard, tears started streaming down my face and—

"What's going on here?" The voice I hated the most in the world interrupted our laughing fit and Mary and I pulled apart, our laughter ceasing immediately.

"Um, uh..." I mumbled, feeling unnerved and confused at the same time as I wondered what the hell she was doing in my dorm-room. The only reason why I had been able to talk back to Stephanie earlier that morning was because I was engulfed by anger and rage. Now that all that anger was gone, I was back to the person I had trained myself to be. I mean, I'm not an idiot or an imbecile that can't defend herself, but when you've acted to be something for so long, you gradually become it.

"Please save your stutter spit for yourself. Is this dorm 3-room 19?" She shunned me and asked, flicking her pin-straight blond wig behind her.

"Yes," Mary answered when I couldn't speak.

"Fuck! How dare they put me in a room with this fucked up imbecile!" She cursed loudly and fully came in with her boxes and luggage as she shut the door with a loud bang behind her.

Wait. pause. Reverse. What did she just say?

"You're in this room?" Mary asked the question that was just on the tip of my tongue.

"No oh, I'm in the next room. You can see my bags here and you're still asking me foolish question. Mtcheeew, oshi!" She hissed, her tone sarcastic and Mary and I looked at each-other in horror.

"Look here, you dumb idiot! I'll let what you did in the morning go but if you ever cross me in this room, I swear to God I'll make this school a living hell for you! Just stay away and don't fuck with me." She threatened and then flopped down on her bed that was on the other end of the room with her phone stuck up in her face.

God! only two people are assigned to a room oh!

I'm officially doomed!

:::Meanings of foreign words used.

Omo Sango: Child of the god of thunder. Sango is a small god that some people from the Yoruba tribe from Africa, worship. He's known as the 'god of thunder' due to his ability to wield fire and thunder.