Chapter 1 - The Phone-call

Lauren was worried that what she was about to do was going to end her up on the couch, but she didn’t really mind now because she had already dialed the number.

She could hear the paused ringing, but she didn’t mind the photographer calling her name as she idly turned around to give him a glare which immediately made him turn away from her nervously.

Surely, her new attitude was thanks to Scarlet who had been completely indifferent to the rest of the world just after coming back to New York. And because Scarlet didn’t care about anything else, Lauren didn’t mind either.

They were definitely made for each other, and everyone knew of this.

Ever since the two came back from the roller coaster type wedding held in North Carolina, their relationship became stronger since now everyone from their work places knew of them being together.

They got congratulatory responses as well as jealousy filled letters that were more comedic instead of threatening.

What surprised Scarlet was that she got a lesser amount of threat mail than Lauren, which was an ego boost for the older woman which the blonde did not appreciate at all.

“Hello?” Lauren jumped at the sudden voice coming from the phone which she had completely forgotten. She was too lost in her thoughts that she almost forgot why she was calling in the first place.

“Hello, it’s me.” She answered with a smile and waited for a reply while she heard whispers from the phone.

“I was wondering if after all these years you’d like to meet.” Lauren pulled away the phone from her ear to see if she had dialed the right number. “Hello, have I dialed the wrong phone number?” She asked with a frown.

“She didn’t understand the reference, grandma!” An instant smile came onto Lauren’s face as she heard the loud obnoxious voice of Blake. “Blake, it’s me, Lauren!”

“Put it on loudspeaker, you numbskull!” Lauren giggled at how Grandma Payne was still the same as she was three years ago, it made Lauren feel like time hadn’t gone as quickly as it had.

“Grandma, how are you?” Lauren asked into the phone as she smiled happily. She heard a chuckle through the phone. “I’m as old as can be, child.”

Lauren laughed at the answer before she heard several hi’s and hello’s through the phone.

“How is Scar, is she being mean to you? Is that why you called so suddenly, Lauren?” Lauren laughed at the concerned sound of Jared. “I’m fine, uncle Jared, and Scarlet has been nothing but nice to me. She even treats me to ice-cream every week.” The blonde giggled into the phone as she remembered the weekend when Scarlet took her out on an ice-cream date.

“You know, we really love you Lauren, but you, like, called us after three whole years. So, no offense, but what do you want?”

“Blake!”

Lauren laughed at the guy, who was right. Lauren did call because she wanted something from the family, and she didn’t wait any longer to tell the family.

“We’re getting married!”

There were collective gasps from the family, but before they could ask her detailed questions on when, how, and why, Lauren told them that she would call them later since the photographer could not wait any longer.

“I will tell you all the details after my photo shoot.” She stated before cutting off the call and turning to look at the photographer who was looking at her impatiently.