Chapter 29 - Payback

Previously in 'At Scarlet's Wedding':

The Payne family was successful in locking up Scarlet in the room Lauren was staying in, but what's this. Lauren wasn't even in the room when they had locked Scarlet in there, by making sure to block the door with a three-seater sofa. Well, they had to use the sofa since the room didn't have an outer-lock, like what type of door doesn't have a lock. (Rolls eyes at the author)

Well, moving on to the reconciliation between Lauren and Katie which was very touching. And then Grandma Payne orders the two dimwits – Blake and Clark – to let Scarlet out of the room, but what they find is that there is no sign of the woman anywhere in the room.

She isn't even in the bathroom where Carla's lingerie hangs in place of the towel. So, where is she then?

Now:

"What do you mean? We locked her in here." Lauren shook her head as she glanced back in the room, but Scarlet wasn't there.

Stewart and Blake entered the room to investigate as they went to check under the bed and in the closet, but they couldn't find the woman.

At the window, Blake noticed dark-hair outside of the cabin, and he called over Stewart immediately.

In the living room, Vanessa wanted to laugh at how stupid her whole family was, but what could she do now. Lauren and Katie sat together on a two-seater, as Lauren kept glancing at her room door. Weird scenarios entered her mind as she wondered how Scarlet wasn't in the room anymore.

She had clearly heard the woman yelling from inside the room earlier.

Blake and Stewart came out of the room after searching around for Scarlet, but they couldn't find her.

"Did you find her?" Lauren asked up as soon as she saw her brother. Stewart shook his head while Blake kept his head down.

"Where did she go then? She can't even jump down the window since this is a floor high." Andrew spoke up after so long. He was worried for his daughter who vanished into thin air out of nowhere.

"Yeah." Blake replied with his head still down, which was an odd thing to do, but no one noticed his odd behavior as Stewart glanced at him. Turning to the older Payne members and Lauren, Stewart began to speak, "I remember Mr. John telling me something weird, but I just dismissed it since I don't believe in such things."

Everyone's attention was now on Stewart, who scratched his nape, "He talked about a few disappearances happening in this cabin."

It was as if the whole living area had turned weirdly colder as the Andersons glanced at each other with worried expressions.

The eerie atmosphere didn't subside as Stewart continued, "I mean, I would've believed him if he had said that a person was responsible for the disappearances, but..."

"But what?" Clark asked up as he looked at Stewart with a scared look.

Stewart was enjoying himself way too much as he tried to stop himself from just snorting out loud. Blake still had his head down as he himself tried to control himself.

"Well, he mentioned a monster and I don't believe in those kinds of things." Stewart waved his hand dismissively as he chuckled. "As if monsters exist, pfft."

His dismissive words did nothing to soothe the Payne family members' fear. Even Lauren didn't know what to believe as she tried to decide on whether to believe her brother or not.

"That's bullshit. There are no such things as monsters." Vanessa rolled her eyes as Kevin smirked at his wife. Juliet shook her head with a smug smile before she sassed, "Oh, look. A monster talking about there being no monsters."