Chapter 26 - Drown

"Just a few more steps ahead!" Clark announced as he carried a cooler with Blake.

The Payne men and Mr. Anderson groaned as they huffed in exhaustion while Scarlet just rolled her eyes.

The twins and Gregory were enjoying the fresh air and the trees, while Kevin and Stewart just talked about things that were definitely not related to fishing.

All of them had left the cabin after Laura and Vanessa had prepared some light snacks for the guys.

Scarlet had complained over and over again as she was practically dragged out of the place by Stewart and Kevin. Vanessa just loved to see Scarlet being made to do something that she didn't want to as she smirked at her husband dragging the woman out of the cabin.

She had yelled out to them to have fun and when she heard a groan of protest from Scarlet, she was completely satisfied.

"Oh, I guess we're here." Clark spoke up as he looked in the front. "Is this really a lake?" Stewart asked as he walked up next to him with Kevin.

"Looks more like a puddle." Blake commented as he dragged the cooler over to the tree that was closest to the lake that didn't look like it was at its prime.

"Don't judge the lake, okay?" Clark quipped at Blake, who just raised his hands in defense after putting down the cooler.

The older men and the three children didn't seem the least bit fazed as they looked out at the small lake.

"I guess we expected too much." Andrew sighed as he looked at the sign that practically read 'No fishes'

"Well, at least we can swim." The twins spoke up as they looked at the older men with large smiles. "I ain't even going close to that." Scarlet shook her head aggressively as Kevin, Stewart, and Clark rolled they eyes at her exaggeration.

"It's probably not even that deep." Blake sighed out as he took out a blanket from his bag and unfolded it to spread it out on the ground.

The Payne men and Mr. Anderson used their foldable chairs to sit down next to where Blake sat.

"Well, no fishing, then we'll just go back after we have some bonding time." Jared announced which made almost everyone groan.

"I can't believe we can't fish." Mr. Anderson frowned before he crossed his arms. Kevin rolled his eyes at his father before he went to get a water bottle from the cooler.

Scarlet just sat down on a nearby rock, feeling relieved that there wouldn't be any fishing or going close to the lake.

"So, since we all are away from the women, we can talk." Uncle Jared announced as he got a beer bottle from the cooler, which was secretly smuggled by him amongst all the juice and water bottles.

"Scarlet's a woman." The twins piped up, which got them a grateful smile from their mentioned cousin, before she turned towards her uncle. "Thank God, someone still considers me a woman."

Andrew laughed heartily before he waved his daughter to come sit besides him on the blanket Blake had spread out on the ground.

"You know we all love you, honey. You're just one of the guys for us." Uncle Tyler smiled widely which got him an eye-roll from Scarlet as she sat down beside Blake and her father.

"I'm just happy that I can finally get some rest from all that nagging." Kevin sighed peacefully as he sat down on his own blanket. Clark smirked before he stared at Kevin, "Ooh, I wonder what Vanessa would say about that." Kevin's eyes opened wide before he threw a glare towards Clark, while Stewart nudged Clark in his side.