Chapter 9 - Let's Talk About Children

Song Used: Between Me and You by Brandon Flowers

The creatures of the Payne den were still asleep when Carla had woken up. It was her time to wake up and she got out of the bed that she had shared with the old grandmother, who had refused to let the woman go anywhere else.

Lauren's mother put on her slippers before leaving the room with a yawn. She felt as if she had come here for a vacation and not to convince her daughter back to New York with her.

But, now when she had seen the reason for her daughter's coming here, she didn't want to leave either.

The Payne family was like that, they gave everyone the feeling of homeliness, and no one wanted to leave. Before it had been Lauren and now it was her mother.

The woman walked to the kitchen which was just a few rooms down the hallway when she began to hear rustling in the kitchen. Her body went stiff as she walked a little closer and noticed that there was a small light coming from the kitchen.

There was someone there.

With the worse in her mind, she grabbed a nearby broom which was just placed beside Andrew and Laura's bedroom before she tip-toed to the kitchen.

At the entrance, she looked around at where the person might be when her eyes caught sight of blonde hair. An eyebrow raised itself up when she realized that the blonde person was looking into the fridge with his body bent in half and his butt in the air.

His head was practically one with the refrigerator since it was inside of it, as he hummed and collected snacks to eat.

"Boy." Ms. Carla called as she walked a little closer to him, and this scared him; enough for him to let go of all the things he was holding and to bump his head with the top of the fridge's inside.

"Ow, who?" Blake got his head out of the appliance before looking behind him, but just as he did, his whole body froze.

Carla stood giving him a smile, a mischievous one since she was amused by what he was doing. "W-What are y-you doing here so e-early, ma'am?" Blake stuttered as he tried to muster up the courage to also smile back to her, but it just looked like he was constipated so he stopped at the last minute.

"Oh, I just came for my morning coffee." Carla spoke as she walked over to the dining table and sat down, pulling out another chair before tapping the seat with her right hand. "Why don't you come sit with me a little while, child?" Blake gulped in fear as he re-collected all the fallen stuff before coming over to the woman with slow steps.

His fear was justified since the woman had practically held him in a head lock, and she was not willing to let him go. He wondered what would have happened if Lauren and Stewart weren't there to save him.

Sitting down on the chair, Blake placed all the junk food he had gathered onto the table.

Carla looked at it in amusement before grabbing a bag of chocolates and opening it up. "Now, tell me what's on your mind?" She gave him a motherly smile which soothed and scared Blake, as he gave her a small smile before shaking his head. "It's nothing, I was just hungry."

"For junk food?" The woman raised her eye-brow.

"I'm a growing boy?" Carla laughed as Blake fidgeted in his seat before she leaned back on hers and gave him a strict stare. "Tell me what's on your mind, son."

It was as if Blake had been torn between sharing his secrets with her and giving her a huge hug and just crying in her embrace. But he chose to do the first, as he sighed before placing his chin on his hand while keeping his elbow on the table for support.