Story time

Megan's POV ///

I was extremely nervous to see mum. As I was sitting in the car my hands were shaking and my legs were fidgeting. I didn't even know why I was nervous. I was only going to see mum.

Except I wasn't just going to see mum. Not the usual mum anyway. I was about to meet the ill and weak mum that can't do anything for herself and I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

Don't get me wrong, I was desperate to see her and hug her and talk to her. I just don't know if I'll be able to cope seeing her in that state.

I know her as the bubbly, fun mum who dances around the kitchen for no particular reason other than because she's happy. She would care for me and support me with what ever I do. Now, it's like everything has switched.

She's now the one that needs caring for, not me. She's not gonna be like what I remember her to be like and I just don't know if I'm ready. I suppose I'll have to be.

Dad : so how was the trip?

I really didn't want him to talk about that with me at this precise moment. One, because there's way more important things going on in our lives right now and two, I didn't want to be reminded about Martinus and what happened just hours before.

I decided against telling him everything because it would take too long to explain and I don't know if I'm able to say it out loud without crying my eyes out. Just thinking about it now is making me tear up.

Megan : it was good.

Dad : is that it?

Megan : I don't want to talk about it dad please just let's focus on mum and only mum.

He seemed concerned for a moment and I knew he wanted to talk about it and know what it was but he knew i was right to just focus on mum so he luckily just let it go.

Dad : ok.

————-

We eventually made it to the hospital about half an hour later and so I got my things out the car and headed inside along with dad. That's when I suddenly realise do still had my fancy clothes and makeup on from when I thought I was going on stage with Martinus.

I couldn't believe that was just a few hours ago. So much has happened since then that it feels like about a week ago.

We made our way through the winding corridors and extended amount of double doors before we got to the ward where mum was situated.

I stood for a moment. Dad looked back at me.

Dad : it's ok. She's so excited to see you!

I took a deep breath and walked inside. My eyes widened towards a fragile little lady with sleepy eyes and hair in a classy bun. Trust mum to have her hair still in the most perfect way.

I smiled over at her as she noticed me coming in. She sat up on her bed with great effort and beamed back at me. I speeded over to her and wrapped my arms around her in a needed hug.

Dad : wow ok gentle!

Megan : sorry.

I giggled as I sniffed away my tears.

Mum : Megan, you look so.....grown up!

Megan : it was only a couple weeks mum!

Mum : I know it just seems like an eternity! What's with all the makeup and fancy outfit?

Megan : it's a long story.

Mum : what else are we gonna do?

Megan : ok buckle up then, this might take a while.

I told her and dad the full story from start to finish, not leaving a single detail out. From pleating marcus' hair to the fight with Lukas and Martinus. I did, however, decide to leave the hickey story out, for obvious reasons. Thought it'd be best.

As I told the story I heard lots of gasps coming from them and even the old lady that lay in the bed next to mum who was listening in too. It was obviously a popular story!

As I neared the end after a full hour of talking I began to tear up as I explained about Charlene walking on stage instead of me and how she kissed him in front of everyone.

Mum : oh Megan!

A tear fell from my eye as she opened her arms out for a hug. She held me close which made me feel so safe and secure. I was so glad to be back home and with my mum again.

——————-

I stayed with her for ages. We talked for hours on end about anything and everything. It was just good to have her back. I really missed our comforting chats and her cheesy jokes. Despite being ill and in hospital her true self was still so clear and I loved it!

After about 2 hours with her she decided to have a little nap. I think it was just too much information and excitement that it simply overwhelmed her a bit. I took out my phone and began to scroll through Instagram. I immediately regretted my decision as all that was on it was screenshots of Charlene and Martinus kissing on stage.

After talking to mum I had totally forgotten about all my problems and so I got a bit of a fright when looking at them. I decided to not torture myself any longer and so got up to go to the toilet.

Megan : toilet?

Dad : down to the reception and then your first right.

Megan : ok thanks.

We had to whisper as to not waken mum but I managed to catch what he had said. So I made my way out the room, along the corridor and down the stairs to where the reception was.

I was trying to remember what dad had said to me when the front door to the hospital opened up. I looked up to see six very familiar faces all stare at me at once. I stood frozen to the spot, shocked to see them all here.