16

2 weeks later

Shawn's POV

"Now I know you are all excited about prom, but I need you to settle down and listen!" I say, glancing to Lizzie and tapping my thumb to my thigh, grateful when she does an extremely loud whistle and gets everyone silent. "Thank you, Elizabeth. Now, we're going to continue on the draw my life's and so far there's only two left, and that happens to be Elizabeth and Matthew. And by the power in the hat, it looks like Lizzie is going first." I say, pulling her name out and handing her her slip and the marker; noticing the hatred coming out of her eyes as she glares at me, going up to the board. "Well, I guess here we go. I was born August 9th, 2004, (note that it's 2022 in the book, Shawn is 24, Lizzie is 18. I know he goes for older women but that isn't how it works in this book.) in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada, thus why I like my pancakes, eh?" She says, getting a few laughs. "God I hate this. But anyway I have a dad and I had a Mum but she died when I was 8 because of cancer in her lungs. I had a pretty okay childhood until my mum died and that is where as lack of better term; shit got sour. My dad's abusing got worse, I got raped a bunch of times, and I got my sister out of it before she could get pulled into it. She lives with my grandma in Pickering, and from what I hear she's doing great. Anyway, I went to my first concert when I was 15, and it was honestly the greatest time of my life. I went and saw Illuminate at Air Canada Centre, and no pun intended, it was lit. Then nothing really big happened other than more abuse, and then at Christmas, it got beautiful. On Christmas, my boyfriend got me out of my alcoholic father's house and honest god he is honestly my hero for doing it. I don't know how much longer I would have lasted with that going on, and now I live with him. I'm going to go to UCLA since I signed the letter of intent and that's how it goes. Thanks for listening." She says, sitting back down after erasing all her drawings, smiling and blushing at me when she looks and I meet her eyes. "Matthew, you're up!" I call.

2 hours later

I can hear the shower running as Lizzie gets ready for prom and a possible coronation since she was voted along with me since teachers could be nominated as well for this year. "Lizzie!" I call, going into the bathroom and getting my razor, sighing and shaving quickly as she finishes and gets out so I can. "Shawn?" She asks, poking her head in. "Yeah?" I ask, and she sighs and looks at me with puppy dog eyes. "Fine, get in." I say, and she smiles and does so, leaning into my chest. "Don't you have like, two hours of makeup to do?" I ask, watching her roll her eyes. "No. But my hair is going to take a while after I try to tame yours." She says, and I shake my head. "No. You're not touching my hair." I say, knowing exactly what she's going to do and I am not going to like it. "Shawn, it is going to be all over!" She says. "Your point being? I don't care!" I say, kissing her gently and rubbing her back. "Fine. It's not like I know you." She says sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "Yes you do. And you love me even though I can be an asshole." I say. "Ain't it the truth." She mumbles, getting out and grabbing a towel and drying off before going into our room; honestly, it still feels a little weird calling it that, but it is what it is and returning in a maroon silk robe or what I assume is maroon silk since I bought it for her. "Sit down." She says, and I know what she wants is going to happen no matter what. "Please don't!" I say, sitting down on the edge of the tub in my towel and feel her moving behind me. "Shawn, I'm doing it. It's too much." She says, running her fingers through it before getting the blow dryer as I go on my phone and try not to focus on it.

" She says, running her fingers through it before getting the blow dryer as I go on my phone and try not to focus on it