Chapter 10 - Hurricane Eudora

Katie's POV:

I went home straight after that bizarre encounter. It started pouring rain as soon as I stuffed my computer into it's case. I know Emily wanted to fangirl really hard over the fact she'd just talked to the boys but there wasn't time with this storm upon us. We went out separate ways as we do everyday and I went home.

I turned on my radio as I walked home and listened to the weather report. "Tropical depression Eudora has been upgraded to hurricane level. With winds of 122 mph it quickly rises to a category 3 hurricane. The National Weather Service has issued hurricane warnings for the county until Sunday night. Although local authorities haven't advised evacuations yet, it is expected the hurricane will make landfall sometime tomorrow."

Oh lovely. I've been so busy working out my social life I hadn't realized there was a major hurricane bearing down on us.

By the time I got home I was soaked from head to toe. The rain never let up at all and obviously I had to walk home so you can imagine how many puddles were being created on the tile floor beneath my feet. I thought it wasn't supposed to make landful until tomorrow?

The windows were even boarded up and my dad was piling sandbags around the house.

I walked through the kitchen and noticed my mom had the table set for dinner. That was...unusual. We didn't eat dinner together as a family very often. My dad made some kind of frozen dinner and took it into the living room, my mom usually made some kind of healthy organic tofu crap, and I made whatever I could find and sat alone. So what was going on here?

"Hey did you guys hear about the hurricane? No one told me." I said as I walked into the living room and saw Sasha sitting there with my mom. She looked sort of distressed. "What's going on?" I sat down next to her and put my hand on her shoulder.

"Would you believe I got fired on the first day?" Sasha said, laughing sarcastically at herself.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Harry had mentioned something about that."

"He told you?!"

"Who's Harry?" My mom asked and we both bit her head off.

"No one." We said in unison and she walked out of the room, obvious to the fact that we didn't want to talk to her. Sasha knew what she did to me and Emily and she wasn't very happy about it either.

"We Skyped with him in the park earlier."

"God, I wish he'd leave me alone." She said she she rubbed her face with her hands.

I laughed at her. "Oh Sasha, you've changed so much. I remember when you were still in school, you had his picutres in your locker and his posters on your walls? What happened to that?"

"I grew up and realized most guys are assholes, that's what happened." She looked at me seriously. I really don't know what happened to her since she went away to the Guard. It completely changed her. I wonder what could have happened to change her spirit about men and humanity in general? "I think the only place I belong now is the Guard."

"Dinner is ready." My mom shouted from the kitchen.

"We'll talk about this later." I patted her on the shoulder We both stood up and walked to the kitchen. Both my parents were already sat at the table and the food was served. My dad wouldn't make eye contact with me the entire time and my mom only spoke to Sasha and my dad while we ate.

"Kate." My mother looked at me as she spoke. Don't get be wrong, I didn't want to talk her but at least she was making an effort now. "I know you're still upset and I know this is no way to make up for anything but, there's a cheesecake in the fridge if you're interested."