Chapter 31 - Katie's Demons

(A/N) FOR SOME REASON THIS CHAPTER SAYS IT'S 52 PAGES LONG BUT IT'S NOT THAT LONG. IT'S ONLY 6,000 WORDS AND MY 11 PAGE LONG CHAPTERS ARE USUALLY 8,000 WORDS SO THIS IS SHORTER THAN THOSE EVEN. THE SPACING JUST SCREWED UP SOMEHOW SO IGNORE THAT. IT'S ACTUALLY A VERY SHORT CHAPTER IN COMPARISON TO PREVIOUS ONES.

Tbh I have no idea what hurts more, reading this chapter or writing it. They were equally hard. But some things get cleared up even though they get messed up more first.

This chapter is dedicated to anyone who has ever been depressed and had those 'voices' in their heads. I think we've all been there at one point.

*gives 18 boxes of tissues*

So sorry.

Emily's POV:

"Dude, the pizza is going to be here any minute. Are you gonna wake up or what?" I poked Katie in the side. She fell asleep on the couch. Again.

Oh yeah, so we made it to the apartment with the car my mom left for us. A day had passed. Katie's parents were coming back today so who knows what's going to happen now. I bet she'll go back home to see him and I'll be alone here. I'm not really afraid. I'm not scared of anyone coming here. I'm not even lonely I guess. But still, I just...don't want her to leave...

"What time is it?" Katie mumbled in a way that no one would be able to make out what she was saying unless you're like me and you've known her forever.

"It's 2pm."

"Ugh, I still haven't recovered from all that. I just want to go back to sleep for another month." She groaned and rolled over.

The doorbell rang and I stood up off the couch and walked to the door. "Oh..." I opened the door, expecting a sweaty pizza delivery guy but instead was greeted with a female police officer. "Is there something wrong?" Katie immediately hopped off the couch and joined me at the door after I said that.

"Are you Miss Emily Manon?" She asked and I nodded. "I'm Officer Grisby, you met Sheriff Barns from the Las Vegas precinct already. He asked me to bring this over." She handed me my phone. I forgot about my phone. How is that even possible. "And he wanted me to tell you that Eugene still hasn't been found but Mr. Manon was released from custody due to lack of evidence."

"Lack of evidence?!" Katie shouted behind me.

"Are these scars not enough evidence?" I pointed to the back of my neck and turned so she could see it.

"I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do."

"God, whatever..." I turned away and was about to close the door when Katie stopped me.

"What about Mrs. Manon? Has she been released?" Katie asked. I'd stupidly forgotten to ask that.

Officer Grisby looked down and sighed. "I'm...sorry she was checked into a rehab center for a mental evaluation."

"Mental evaluation?!" I shouted yet again.

"Is this a joke?" Katie added onto my surprise.

"I'm afraid not. Sheriff Barns said her mental state was too unstable to be sent home. She was hysterical and... I don't think Sheriff Barns believes that Mr. Manon actually did anything to anyone. He seems to think Mrs. Manon invented the whole thing."

"Jesus, this has got to be a joke." I walked away from the door and sat down on the couch.

"T-thank you, officer." Katie said and closed the door before joining me on the couch. "Em, I'm sorry. I can't believe they think she's crazy."