Chapter 16 - The Quiet Dinner

Katie's POV:

"Hey, Mom, I'm changing real quick and going back out with One Direction." I shouted to my mom who was sitting on the couch reading a book, exactly where she was when I left her. I literally ran upstairs while taking off my jacket and never even looked at her.

"Ok, if you need anything just...wait excuse me?"

I stopped at the to of the stairs and turned around to look at my mom who was standing at the bottom. "I won't be out too long, I promise. And I'll be with Em...I mean, Angel and Sasha." I slipped and nearly said Emily but caught myself in time.

"Ok, have a nice time." She sat back down. Really, that was it? No other questions? She probably thought I was delirious and exaggerating the whole thing. She had no idea of my relationship with Louis and the boys. She never cared to ask.

I ran into my room and threw all my clothes on the bed trying to figure out what to wear. I had a feeling the restaurant we were going to was a bit formal so I put on the only formal outfit I own- a black dress that I had only worn once to my grandmother's funeral and tall wedged heels.

"Kate, sweetie, I'm assuming this black van is here for you?" My mom knocked on my door.

"I guess so." I laughed and opened my door.

"How was the concert?"

"It was great!"

My mom just stared at me for a minute, looking me up and down. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks. I'll be back soon." I wish it wasn't awkward talking to my mom but sometimes it was. Her and I just don't really understand each other most of the time.

"If anything happens, you can call me or your father and we'll pick you up."

"I know, thanks mom." I ran out the door and to the van outside. I was about to open the door when the driver came around the side and opened it for me. That was something that's never happened to me before. "Oh, thanks." I blushed and cralwed into the back seat of the van. There was another man back there with me. He was staring at me as we drove away. "Hello." I smiled at him awkwardly and he smiled back. "I'm Katie." I reached my hand out and shook his head.

"Joel." He said quietly and looked away. "I'm your security guard."

I have my own security guard. Wow.

The van stopped in front of the restaurant. I was right, it looked very expensive. There were a few people standing outside waiting in line. Men were dressed in tuxedos with women on their arms that were dressed head to toe in diamond jewelry and long dresses. I felt quite out of place. Most of these people were older couples that wouldn't recognize the boys. That's probably why we were here.

The driver opened the door again and helped me out. People were staring at me, it was weird.

"There she is!" Louis walked over to me and grabbed my hand, walking me over to the front door. I didn't really have time to think about it but he looked so nice. I tell you, these boys clean up well. They went from sweaty tank tops covered in whipped cream to t-shirts and suit jackets and dress shoes.

"Thanks for inviting us." I smiled at him.

"Thanks for accepting." He smiled back at me.

"Where are the others?" I looked around for my friends and the other boys but I didn't recognize anyone.

"Your friends should be here any minute. God knows where the other lads are." Louis began looking around as well. Then he looked back to me and looked me up and down like my mom did. I've never felt so insecure in my life as I did right now. I was being judged by one of the people I care most about in the entire world. No pressure at all. "What?" I asked, hoping he'd stop staring at me.