The reminder of an ugly secret

Bella laughed at a lame joke Edward told her trying to make her laugh. The joke wasnt good but because it was so lame it made her laugh. Edward looked proud that he got her to laugh even if his joke was pretty stupid.

He walked with Bella through town holding her hand showing everyone how proud he was of her and their relationship. Bella calmed down and shook her head smiling. "I didnt expect that from you. You better watch out that Emmett doesnt heat about this." She was amused of the thought of him finding out. He would laugh so hard at his brother trying to be funny.

Edward shuddered a little at the thought of Emmett knowing of this. Suddenly his phome vibrated in his pocket snapping him out of his thoughts. He fished it out of his pockets and looked at the screen to see who was calling him. He raised an eyebrow seeing Alice's name but picked up as his little pixie sister would keep calling if he didnt pick up the first time. "Hello Alice." He said casually looking at Bella amd motioned for her to go ahead to the restaurant they, or rather she, would be having lunch at.

"Edward! Dont let Bella cross the street!! Edward was confused and a little on edge hearing the fear in her tone. "What? Alice what are you talking about?" He looked at Bella who was halfway across the street a car coming her way. His eyes widen as he stood frozen for a moment. He couldnt hear Alice talking as everything just suddenly went in slow motion.  He ran to her as he realised the situation. "BELLA!" Bella turned her head looking at him smiling but that disappeared when she saw his expression. She turned her head hearing the honk of a car and just froze in fear.

He was so close to pushing her out of the way but was too late by a second. The car hit her screeching to a stop. Bella flew into the windshield hitting her head and rolled of the car on the ground. Edward speeded to her holding her unconcious body close to him.

The driver of the car stepped out and panicked seeing Bella. "Hey man... Im sorry... I didnt mean to... I-i swear... I can drive her to the hospital. Please..." He stuttered over his words terrified. Edward looked up glaring at the man who hit his love. He stood up holding Bella bridal style. He would rather bring Bella to the hospital himself then let her be in the car that hit her. "No thank you. I have a car. Ill bring her myself." He spoke in an icy tone and turned walking to his car quickly. He unlocked it and put her in the passenger seat strapoing her in and ran to the other side. He started the car amd swiftly drove out of the parking lot towards the hospital. He parked the car and jumped out taking Bella out of the car and locked it.

He ran into the hospital his hands getting a little slippery from the blood. He tried his best to control himself. Not even a minute later Carlisle walked up to him. "Alice called me. Follow me." He knew Edward would ask how he could be here so fast without him calling Carlisle. Edward didnt waste any time and followed him. A few nurses came with a bed and told him to lay Bella down on the bed. He didnt want to let go but he knew he had to. He laid her down kissing her forehead gently then stepped back watching them take her to the ER. Carlisle put his hand on his shoulder. "She will be alright Edward. I promise you that." Carlisle gave him a reassuring smile and went through the doors after the nurses to start the surgery.

Edward sat down outside of the ER with his head down. He felt so angry, sad, nervous, anxious. He felt like crying. So many feelings at once and only Bella coming out of the ER alive and well would wash all of it away.

After what seem like forever, atleast to Edward, Carlisle came out. Edward looked up hearing footsteps and saw Carlisle. He got up looking at expectantly at him. "She is alright. She is just sleeping at the moment. She'll wake up soon." He patted his shoulder then walked away. Two nurses wheeled her out of the ER towards a hospital room. He followed them and sat on a chair beside the bed. He took her hand gently in his looking at her sleeping face.

A few hours later Bella's eyes fluttered open. She squinted her eyes at the bright light. When she got used to it she looked at the bronze haired man sitting beside her. She felt a weight on her hand and saw him holding it. Looking at him very confused she pulled her hand back. Edward looked a little hurt and confused. "Whats wrong Bella?" She was confused why he called her by her nickname. "Why are you here?" That question that left her mouth left Edward frozen. "What do you mean? You dont want me here?" He asked quietly. "No...no thats...thats not it... Its just why would you here with me?"

Edward didnt understand what was happening. "Bella do you remember me?" She nodded her head. "Yes. Ofcourse i remember you. Youre one of the most popular guys in school." He looked at her trying not to show his emmotions on his face. "Im also your boyfriend." He said a little slowly looking at her expression as he said that. She looked at him wide eyed. "Youre my what?" She ran her hand through her hair. "That...that cant be true. I mean why would you want to date me? That makes no sense." Edward nodded looking sadly realising that she doesnt remember being in a relationship with him. "Ill be right back..." He said quietly and got up walking out of the room. He leaned against the wall with no expression. He never imagined that this could ever happen.

Edward composed himself and told a nurse that was walking by to call Dr. Cullen. He walked back inside the room and sat down staying silent. A few minutes later Carlisle came walking in with a clipboard. "How are you doing Bella?" He wrote her vitals on the clipboard then looked up seeing her confused expression. "Whats wrong? Are you feeling any pain?" Bella shook her head. "No... Im fine. Im just surprised youre calling me Bella so casually. Like Edward." Carlisle looked at Edward for a moment then back at Bella. "Bella what is the last thing you remember?" He looked at her trying not to be too close.

Bella looked at him thinking back. "Ehm... I remember moving here to live with my dad. My first day off school. Meeting Jacob and my friends. And hearing about the Cullens from Jessica." Edward looked at Carlisle with a sad expression. Carlisle nodded. "I see. It is safe to say that you have amnesia Bella." His eyes went to Edward for a moment feeling for his son. Bella looked shocked blinking her eyes hearing the news. "I have what?...." She looked down at her lap processing the fact that she doesnt remember some of her memories. "You might be able to get them back. Visit your friends and places you always visited. Listen to stories from them." He tunred to Edward. "You can help her by taking her to places and showing her around her house. Show her things she used to do. The little things go a long way." He nodded at Edward then at Bella. "You need to stay here for a little while. I cant say how long but lets hope you heal very soon." He gave her a smile before walking out of the room.

Edward looked at his hands not knowing what to say. He opened his mouth but closed it again not wanting to say anything wrong. If she doesnt remember them being together then there is a chance she doesnt remember his and his families secret.

"Edward you said we are dating. Can you tell me what we did together? Where we have been? What our relationship is like?" She was curious to know. It frightened her that she didnt remember but somehow she felt pain when she looked at Edwards expression. She felt something for him but couldnt quite place it. She would try to remember if it would give a smile on his face.

Edward looked at her and nodded. He started to tell her about the first time they talked in biology class. He told her about the meadow he showed her. About the birthday party his sister Alice threw for her. Ofcourse he kept out the part about them being vampires and the incident with Jasper.  He told her of their times together a smile creeping on his face. Bella felt a little relieved seeing him smile.

When Edward talked about the first time he took her to dinner in Port Angeles a wave of pain hit her. Her hands flew to her head groaning in pain. Edward stopped immediately and looked at her. "Bella are you okay?" He sounded very worried not knowing what to do. She kept quiet for a minute waiting for the pain to go away. She breathed a little heavy as the pain wrnt away slowly. "Edward?" She lifted her head to look at him. "Im starting to remember."

Edwards face lighted up like a christmas tree. "What do you remember?" She looked down thinking how to say it then back at him. "I remember little bits but its working. I remember the beautiful meadow. I remember the green dress Alice gave me. I remember your house." She was happy to atleast remember some things. "Thats all i remember. Its not much i know... but its something." Edward nodded in understanding. He was happy it wasnt permanent amnesia. He felt joy she was remembering slowly. The nurse came in telling him visiting hours were over then left. Edward sighed not wanting to leave her. "I have to go now... but ill be back first thing in the morning." He was hesitant but placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. He looked at her for a moment then got up and left to leave her to rest.