Chapter 1: Ignorance Is Bliss

*A/N: I'm going to post a song for every chapter from now on because I think it's a really cute idea and I usually listen to music while writing. I highly suggest listening to them because they usually mean a lot to the story and/or are just really good songs.

Song for this chapter: Even My Dad Does Sometimes- Ed Sheeran

Chapter 1:

Wake up!

My subconscious screams this one thought and my mind jumps to alertness the way one wakes up when they feel like they're falling. It nearly gives you a heart attack. Only this time, my body hasn't moved at all and my eyelids remain closed.

With my heart rate now speeding like crazy, my dazed and confused brain tries to process something. Only that's the problem, I don't know what I'm supposed to process. I can't explain it...it's like my brain can't think. It's like I have no thoughts. All I can imagine is darkness. For some reason I feel like I've been in darkness for awhile.

Okay, calm down. You're not falling. Just think about something. Anything.

Finally a thought pops into my sleepy mind, move.

That's right, I have a body. I know it sounds foolish but my senses feel dulled. My entire body acts like a stone, my eyes won't force themselves open, and my head is ringing as if I have lead in my ears and all I can hear is a high pitched buzz.

Alright, focus on your body. Force something to move. My brain commands my fingers to ever so slightly flex, crunch, and then return to their stiff positions. My toes do the same. Why does it feel like I haven't moved in ages?

I am now aware of the space my body extends to. I can finally start to feel it again, like it's finally connected to my brain.

Now try to hear something. I swallow without swallowing to try and pop my eardrums so they don't seem clogged. Eventually it works and I can hear the faint purring of something mechanical and a high pitched yet quiet beeping. That could be in my head though.

My brain seems to be unwilling to function. And I almost regret waking up from whatever sleep I was in. I have a headache worse than any pain I have ever felt. My mind throbs so violently I can hear it pulsate. All I can focus on is the excruciating pain.

It forces me to groan, but then I realize I can't. My throat and mouth are so dry I wonder if I even make saliva anymore. A wave of unbearable pain hits and my eyes snap open as another pained gasp leaves my mouth.

And suddenly I'm completely snapped out of whatever la la land I was in a moment ago. Reality is back, but my confusion remains with it. I'm in a bed. It's raised high off of the floor and has protectors on either side so I don't roll off I'm assuming. There is a needle sticking out of my arm, connected to a bag of clear liquid. Oh shit, that's an IV. And that means this is a hospital.

A quick glance around the room confirms my suspicion. My muscles ache in protest and my joints creak as I bring a hand slowly up to my face. I just want to make sure this is really happening to be honest, I'm still a little dazed. When touching my face, I feel heavy gauze over my nose and two tubes sticking out of it with oxygen flowing into them. My heart skips a beat in a moment of panic. I then notice I can't move my neck. I feel a brace there and see it travels down to cover my torso. Why do I need a neck and back brace?

My heart nearly stops beating when I see the tube sticking out of my stomach. Now that I see everything I am very aware they are present. I feel like a stranger in my own body. I'm scared. What if I'm dying? What happened to put me here? Does anyone know I'm here in the first place?

I turn my head as much as I can to see someone walk past the doorway to my room. The nurse notices me.

"Doctor, she's awake!" She yells down the hallway and rushes over to me. My eyes widen in confusion, fear, and panic.