Chapter 10: Blame It On The Bottle

Song for this chapter- Take A Bow: Rihanna

Chapter 10:

"Are you sure you don't want anything?" I sigh, staring at my disheveled roommate for the day.

"No, I'm not hungry." Ashland replies. She's been keeping herself busy all morning, talking about everything and anything. Except Harry.

She hasn't left my bedroom though. So far she has written an essay for her psychology class (she's still enrolled in college, unlike me, and it's only the middle of first semester), she folded all of my laundry, she curled my hair, and now she is in the process of reorganizing my closet. Ashland copes with situations by never giving herself a chance to stop and think about the problem. Pain turns her drive to accomplish things up, whereas it completely shuts mine down. I do admire it in her, although avoiding this forever can't be healthy.

"Okay, fine. You win." I flop onto the bed. I've been trying to get food into her all day.

"Does this still fit you?" She holds up a lilac top I haven't worn recently.

"No, you can have it." I tell her, knowing that's the reason she asked.

"Thank you." She smiles, holding it up to herself in the mirror. It's like she didn't just discover her boyfriend cheated on her last night. I don't get how she's so chipper...so calm.

I hear a soft knock at the door behind me. Ashland immediately snaps her head up, staring at the closed wood with a nervous and at the same time terrified expression. She thinks it's Harry...to be honest I do too. He's not the type to just accept this break up.

I stand and open the door slowly, peeking through the crack I create. I don't want Ash to have to see him.

"Oh Niall, thank god, I thought you were...never mind. What's up?" I feel tempted to kiss him but stop myself for Ashland's sake. I let him walk in and shut the door behind him.

"Hey Ash, how're you doing?" He asks her, sitting on the bed beside me.

"I'm doing swell, thanks for asking. Now, I need a male opinion, keep or trash?" She asks, holding up another one of my older shirts. This one is a short sleeve white crop top.

"Uh...I dunno, keep?" He more asks than answers. She just nods and continues sifting through the back of the closet.

"So why are you gracing me with your presence?" I ask him, straightening out the rolled up sleeve of his flannel.

"I was wondering if we were still on for lunch given...the new situation." He nicely phrases this whole mess.

"Oh, right. I completely spaced. I don't think that's gonna work today..." I try to soften the rejection.

Ashland looks up from the clothes pile on the floor and gives us a hard glare, "Go, seriously. You guys need as much couple time as possible. I'll be fine, trust me, I'm not a child."

"Are you positive?" I persist.

She doesn't answer me, she simply throws a maxi dress at my head and points to the bathroom.

"Okay, I guess I'll be ready in a few." I say to Niall who gives me a quick kiss and leaves. I step into the bathroom and slip on the gray dress. Ashland already did my hair, and I have mascara on from last night. Niall could care less about my makeup, this is good enough.

"Call Niall if you need me. I mean it." I warn her and she rolls her eyes.

"Yes ma'am." She mocks me and I sigh, leaving the room.

Me and Niall walk outside together and get into his brand new range rover. He drives to a cute casual restaurant with a rooftop eating area.

"I'm famished." He complains after we order.