Chapter 18: Tulips

Song for this chapter- All I Want: Kodaline

Chapter 18:

"Write about myself?" I ask Jarod with my brows knitted together.

"Yep, its your first day here kid so I'll go easy on you. Just write me one poem about yourself by the end of the day, that's it. Get crackin Tulips." My boss says with a smile and then walks away from my newly assigned cubicle.

On my office tour this morning, one guy named Ron though that my name was too English so he decided to call me tulip because its the national flower of the Netherlands. Rose...Tulip...get it? Very funny, not. It's okay though because it will help me get closer to everyone here. Turns out Ron is best friends with Navy's new coworker Derek. I can already see us forming a tight group together, which I'm pretty happy about. 

Okay. Time to write about myself. 

I stare at the blank computer screen. Nothing.

What do I like? Do I have any hobbies? Any talents?

Nothing, again. I am having the worst writers block imaginable and on the worst day possible. I write down small snippets of inspirations and ideas for literally three hours while I furiously bite my nails. Lunch break rolls around at 12:30 and I sigh, kicking my chair back under my desk with frustration.

"You okay Tulips? C'mon, I'll show you the best places to grab lunch around here." Ron walks over to me and puts a hand on my lower back to lead me to the elevator. He seems like a very touchy person, in a nice way though. In an inviting way.

"Do the music guys get out at the same time as us?" I ask him.

"You mean your friend? Whats his name, Army?" He says seriously and I laugh.

"Navy. And yes, him." I giggle.

"Yeah, him and Derek are meeting us for lunch now." We pass the reception area and Helen yells something over to us.

"Go easy on her Ron, three hours and you've already started." Helen comments and Ron grins at her.

"No inter-coworker dating Hel, sorry I know you've been wanting some of this." He gestures to himself and Helen snorts, rolling her eyes at him. I blush slightly, he must be the office flirt.

We continue walking down the street to a small pub and I smile when I see Navy in the corner with Derek.

"Aint she a little young for you mate?" Derek says, standing to hug his friend.

"What is it with you people, Tulips is my new best chummy, get over it." Ron jokes, scooting into the booth beside me.

Lunch goes nicely, and I actually start to feel connected to Navy's already-good friends. When I'm back in my office, I space out again. I begin to think about Niall as I always do...and then I write.

"Tutu's

I knew it the moment I saw her dancing

The satin of her gown, the ruffles of her skirt, all gliding magically through the air

I wanted to be just like her, and so I would be

That is when I started practicing dance

I knew it the moment I saw him laughing

The crinkles by his eyes, the redness of his cheeks, his voice resonating in my very core

'I love you tutu's'

That is when I started loving dance

I knew it the moment I saw the truck coming

The tears on my cheeks, the horn blaring through the rain, all telling me it was over