Chapter 12: The Edge

Song for this chapter- Hotel Cieling: Rixton

Chapter 12:

I'm met with the beady eyes of my torturer and the silver barrel of his gun.

I gasp and jump backwards. I'm not fast enough though because he spins me around and presses the gun to my back. I can feel his body's presence behind mine, and I can hear his steady breathing.

"Scream and you die, bitch." He whispers into my ear, the hairs on his chin making me shiver in displeasure. I nod slowly, fear written on my face. The night is absolutely silent for a good minute.

"Rosie? Okay I'll stop now." Niall's voice sounds in the distance. More silence. "Seriously, this isn't funny." He says, sounding panicked.

Niall comes into the patch of grass where I'm visible and let's out a sigh.

"Jesus you scared me for a second." He laughs. Rick is positioned behind the trunk of the tree, so Niall can't see him. But I can feel the gun, he's definitely there.

"Ni?" I say shakily, "I love you." I brave the consequences of saying these words because I may not get the chance again. My heart is pounding and my hands are sweating from anxiety and fear.

"What-" He begins but is interrupted by me stumbling forward. Rick shoves me to take a step towards Niall, making him and the gun visible. Niall's reaction is immediate. He stiffens like a board. His muscles all tense and his fists clench.

"You're the bastard who took her from me, Rick." He spits.

"And you're the idiot that helped make it possible. Thanks for the job, boss." Rick snorts with spite.

"What do you even want?" I whimper.

"Shut up!" He screams and digs the metal cylinder into my back, causing me to let out a shriek. His hand, which he throws over my mouth, muffles it. My body arches away from the pain, but he pulls me back. I stop screaming and begin to nod in surrender. Flashes of Rick ruthlessly torturing me speed through my mind and my resolve seems to slip. I have to obey him, there's no other way.

"Try it again and I'll rip your head off!" Niall screams, stepping closer. I can tell he's holding himself back because of the gun. Rick snickers at the younger and smaller Niall.

"What are you going to do about it? I can do whatever I want with her right now, and you can't stop me." Rick says evilly. He's never been sexual with me, but in front of Niall he tries to put on a show. He runs his hand up my side, pulls my hair away from my neck and dips his head there, and lastly the dirtbag places his free hand under my shirt right on one of my breasts.

"This is what I'm gonna do about it!" Niall shouts, finally snapping. I feel like Rick was trying to get him to fight him. Rick pushes me away from him and against the tree, which I hit with a hard bang. I stumble to the ground and turn around just in time to see Niall try to punch Rick in the face.

But Rick was a professional body guard, and Niall is a scrawny young adult compared to him. Niall doesn't get very far before Rick grabs his arm with one hand, and smashes his temple with the butt of the gun with his other hand.

Niall's seemingly lifeless body falls to the ground just in time for me to gather my bearings again.

"No!" I scream and crawl over to him. I protectively shield his limp body. The side of his head, right on his hairline, is bloodied from the impact. His eyes are closed and I'm positive he's unconscious. I run my fingers through his hair and kiss his slightly parted lips. They feel dead.

"Move unless you want to get shot too!" Rick growls and I look up at him.

"Please, leave him alone! You can't kill him, he's too important." I begin to bargain for Niall's life, "Take me, please, take me, kill me, do whatever you want. Just don't hurt him!" I begin to cry.