Chapter 22: A Happy Christmas

Songs for this chapter- The Only Reason: 5SOS, Over Again: One Direction

Chapter 22:

"Happy Christmas, Niall." I say into the frigid Irish December night. A puff of hot air leaves my mouth and I dig my hands as far as I can into the pockets of my coat. I'm stood on the steps of his childhood home, a place I have never previously been. A thin layer of snow covers the ground, and huge mounds of it have piled up from the harsh winter on either side of the cement pathway to his door.

He has an adorable house. It has a red brick exterior and isn't anything massive at all, it's small and quaint and absolutely lovely. Growing up in a house that could fit triple the amount of people with room to spare, this is the type of cozier place I dreamed of living in. A home where the heat from the fireplace reaches every room in the house, not just the small space right next to it in a giant living room. A home where you can walk up the carpeted stairs and have everyone's rooms close together, so close that you have to bang on the wall to tell your sibling to turn their music down. A home where a Christmas tree was something you went out as a family and picked out and then decorated together, not a plastic object that professionals come and decorate for you. This place, Mullingar, this is the type of place I had always wanted to be a part of. And now I'm here at two am on Niall's doorstep.

Just hours ago I was in the comfort of my Amsterdam apartment. I was alone and lonelier than ever, and the second Brook told me Niall was here I just knew I had to be as well. I knew I had to do this now and if I ever wanted anything to change between us, I was going to have to be the one to change it. I couldn't wait any longer, this was my last chance, at least it felt that way. So I took it.

Niall is stood at the door wearing his adorable glasses. His hair is messy and flopping all over the place. He's wearing slouchy gray sweatpants and a Derby tee shirt. I know he must be freezing as the night air hits his exposed skin, but he still opens the door wider. He rubs his eyes with his fingers, careful to not knock off his glasses. I'm standing here smiling like an idiot because being with him, even just looking at him, makes me feel indescribably happy.

He cheated on me, and I forgave him for it because I know he's sorry. I know with all my heart and soul he would take it all back if he could. That's the difference between Ben and Niall. The difference I never could pin point until now. Niall actually cares about me, Ben didn't. He laughed at me when I caught him cheating. He didn't apologize until years later. Niall apologized that night, and sincerely too. Even if he didn't apologize, would I really be able to stay away from him? No, absolutely not. I am totally in love with him. Forever.

"Happy Christmas." He replies, probably in complete shock and wondering if this is a dream or not.

I slowly walk up the three steps to the door, brushing the snow that has fallen on my wool coat off of me. I then reach my arms around his neck and engulf him in a hug. I hear him sigh in content when I do this so I smile into his warm neck and kiss the shirt above his shoulder with a quick peck before pulling away from him.

"You're freezing." He says and pulls me inside, shutting the door quietly behind us. He walks me over to the living room in the darkness, the only thing illuminating the cozy space is a fireplace with a small fire. Just like I imagined, it heats up the entire floor. He helps me strip off my now damp coat and then runs upstairs. "Change in here, love." He whispers, yawning and handing me some clothing. I walk into the cute bathroom he points to adjacent to the kitchen.

My heart flutters when I put on the heavy gray sweatpants that are similar to his and his Eagles tee shirt. He also gave me one of his hoodies to throw on. I can feel my stomach in knots just from the smell of his clothing. I feel like a druggie with withdrawal symptoms. Even the smell of him drives me wild.