Chapter 23: Home

Song for this chapter- Latch (acoustic): Sam Smith

Chapter 23:

"Good morning sunshine." Niall mumbles, exhaling and stretching his body out. I groan and curl into a tighter ball.

"Shut up." I say and he laughs, jumping out of bed and leaving me alone. He runs out of his room and down the hallway to the bathroom I assume. This is the first day out of seven that he's gotten up before me. Today is December 31st meaning we're going back to London in a few hours. Neither of us have told anyone we're together in Ireland, I think we mutually agreed that we need to keep it quiet and free of outside pressures. We really just wanted to see if we even work anymore as two compatible people.

Turns out, we do.

This past week has been nothing but smiles and laughter. Maura has been so good to me, she's an absolute angel. We had a serious heart to heart one night when Niall went out to the pub with his school friends. She told me about her concerns if me and Niall start a relationship again, and also her even greater concerns if we don't. In turn I told her about my own worries and hopes for the future. It was really touching and I feel as though she is someone I can turn to now for anything. She's basically like a mother to me, the way Ashland's mom was back when I practically lived at Ash's house.

Niall and I haven't kissed since that night, a fact which I am very happy about. We cuddle on the sofa, we sleep in his childhood bed together, and we hold hands while walking around his town center. But that's all, and its refreshing. It shows that we honestly do just get along as friends. We aren't dating, nothing is set in stone, and although this situation would normally give me anxiety, it feels right. We've taken it slow and I'm optimistic about what the future holds for us. I'm happy.

Until Megan decides to tag me in her tweet.

"@MeganWilderxx: First loves are forever. pic.twitter/hfn3s8"

The tweet has one picture of Megan and Niall kissing from a few years ago when they first dated. The second picture is of them from the night he cheated on me. They're kissing in pretty much the same position as the first picture. Why would she tag me in this other than to be a cold hearted bitch? Oh right, that's exactly why.

Staring at the picture, I feel doubt creep back into my mind. Maybe I'm being an idiot for forgiving him so easily. I promised myself I'd never go back to him, and yet here I am in his bed on a cold winter morning; pretending that things are okay when the only reason I haven't broken down yet is because I'm ignoring the fact that they aren't. Well, this is a wake up call for sure. I'm not saying because I'm forced to face what Niall did I'm going to leave him, I'll probably just cry about it a little.

But that's okay, because I know in my heart I'm never going to leave him again.

I feel tears sting behind my eyelids, and I don't try to stop them from falling.

"Rosie did you- woah, what's wrong?" Niall walks back in and rushes to my side.

"Nothing, it's nothing." I sniffle, wiping underneath my eyes.

"It obviously isn't nothing." He sighs while brushing my morning hair out of my eyes.

"It's nothing new, at least." I tilt my phone so he can see the picture and his face drops.

"I had a feeling that would come up soon again. If you being here is too much I understand, I only want you happy. And I don't know how to express to you how truly and completely sorry I am. I just...I can't...I fucked up so bad." He begins to struggle for words. When I finally look up at him, I see something I never expected to see. He's crying.