23: Meeting the Family

I had managed to sleep through the entire flight, just as I had expected. Alex had woken me up when we landed, and we went through security and luggage check once again. We had landed at about 8 at night, just as I had expected.

I had called my oldest brother, Dennis, to pick us up at the airport and that leaves us where we are, waiting outside with our luggage in hand for Dennis who said he was nearly here.

"There, that's his car," I point out the black Hyundai to Alex which was pulling up right in front of me.

"Oh god, now I'm nervous," Alex laughs nervously.

I didn't even realize that this is the first time Alex would be meeting my family until now. I guess that means that we really are serious if Alex willingly wants to meet my family. The thought of our relationship being serious brings a smile to my face.

I see Dennis's wife, Clara, in the front seat so I open the door to back seat and get in first, followed by Alex.

"Dennis, Clara!" I exclaim, upset that I'm unable to hug them since we're in the car.

"I missed you so much, Dakota," Dennis tells me, smiling at me through the car mirror.

"Who's this?" Clara asks me, referring to Alex.

"This is my boyfriend, Alex. Alex, this is my brother Dennis and his wife Clara," I tell them, smiling.

"Nice to meet you, Alex," Dennis says, turning around in his seat to shake his hand.

Clara raises an eyebrow at me, probably because last time I saw them I was with Parker and now I'm with Alex. It isn't really uncommon for relationships to end and new ones to start within a year, though.

"Are Gabe and Henry already at the hospital?" I ask Dennis and he nods in reply.

"The kids are there, too, although they don't really know what's happening yet except that they know she's sick," he says, referring to his and Clara's two twin girls.

"Do you want to go home first or straight to the hospital?" Dennis asks me.

"The hospital please," I answer.

I don't know how much time I have with my mom left, and I want to make sure I spend enough with her as possible.

I was the only one of her four kids to leave the state, which means I'm the only one she hasn't seen in a while and that she probably wants to see me really badly. Dennis married his high school sweetheart and ended up staying in Miami his whole life, Gabe is engaged and only lives a little while away in Tallahassee, and Henry is working on his doctorate in medicine at the University of Miami so he's still in school here. They all stayed close to home while I left for L.A. after I had been modeling at local agencies for two years, and I was only 19 when I left.

We soon pull into the hospital parking garage and quickly find a place very close to the elevator. Alex and I leave our suitcases in the car, and follow Clara and Dennis inside and to the elevator.

They push the fifth floor, and we ride in silence. My shaky hand finds Alex's and grips onto it, needing something to hold onto for emotional support. My entire body aches with sadness and regret as the elevator dings and opens, and the two lead us down the hall and to a waiting room filled with my family.

Immediately, they all chorus my name and many of them stand up, coming over to me to hug me. I release Alex's hand to hug them all, starting with Gabe.

"Gabe!" I exclaim, pulling him into me. When we pull away, I ruffle his bleach blonde hair which was common between me and all the rest of my siblings, one thing we all had in common.