49: Party and New Car

The next day Alex seems completely fine and happy again, and willingly comes with us when we go over to Scott, Jason, Todd, and Kristen's house that night for a party. I'll admit, it felt a little weird that he was completely fine after losing his best friend, but I'm glad he was taking it so well.

"Are you sure you want to go? We can just stay home and watch some movies if you want to instead," I say once we've gotten ready, resting my hand soothingly on his arm.

"I'm trying to be happy and not sulk, remember? Plus I need some fun right now to her my mind off her," He tells me, and kisses my forehead softly.

"Okay, if you're sure," I say, still a little skeptical.

"I'm sure," Alex assures me, and we walk out of our room together.

David had left to go pick up Liza an hour before, so we were the only two left to get there.

Together we make our way out of the apartment and towards the parking garage. I get into the passenger seat of Alex's car and we're soon driving off.

"Oh, and by the way, we're going on a date tomorrow," Alex tells me.

"Really? Where?" I ask, now very excited and intrigued.

"It's a surprise," Alex simply states.

"Why does it have to be a surprise every time we go on a date?" I groan.

"Just trust me, it makes it a thousand times better when it's a surprise. Especially this time," Alex says, grinning.

"Why? What's so special about this date?" I ask, teasingly.

"I can't tell you, it's a surprise! I can't ruin it," Alex chuckles.

"Come on! Not even a little hint?" I persist.

"Nope not even a little hint. But just trust me on this, okay? You'll want it to be a surprise," Alex assures me.

"Okay, I'll take your word for it," I sigh.

"So, what about you and Todd? Are things still good between you two?" Alex asks me, changing the subject.

"Yeah, they're great. In fact, he even told me that he asked Corinna on a date," I inform him.

"For real, Corinna? And only a couple of days after he confessed?" Alex asks, surprised.

"I guess he moves on really fast," I shrug. "I think he's just hurt that I didn't reciprocate feelings and wants to try to forget as soon as he can."

"Yeah, that makes sense," Alex nods.

"Is the fact that he liked me going to affect your guys' friendship?" I ask Alex.

"No, not at all. I mean, it might be a little weird, but it's nice to feel superior to Todd for once," Alex laughs.

"You're such a guy," I scoff, pinching him lightly in the shoulder.

"You would know," Alex says, wiggling his eyebrows.

"That's not what I meant!" I laugh, and Alex laughs with me.

Before we know it, we reach the house and get out of the car. Alex opens the door for me and we walk inside to see everyone sat down at the couch, playing Mario Kart.

"Fuck you, you fucking fuck!" Scott screams at Todd as the screen shows Todd beat him.

"Hey, don't be a sore loser!" Todd laughs.

Scott scowls at Todd as Alex and I find a spot on the couch and sit down, watching he tournament happen.

"Hey, Dakota. I need someone to race against, are you in?" Zane asks me, holding a wii controller in my direction.