12

johnny thought that buying saori ice cream would lift her mood up. apparently he was wrong. she was still upset. the frown didn't leave her face as she finishes her vanilla ice cream from her cup.

johnny just sits there, opposite to her, and stares at her scrunched eyebrows and pouting lips.

"hey," he calls softly, sliding his hand over hers. "what's wrong?"

saori's eyes soften at him, her thumb brushing over his. "nothing. yuta's just being a dumbass." she repeats. it was so vague, johnny didn't know if yuta played a cruel prank on her or he really said something so hurtful.

"what did he do?" he asks.

"nothing. he's just being a dumbass." clearly, saori doesn't want to talk about it. so johnny stops asking her and sits there in silence, letting her simmer down from that obvious fight she had with her cousin.

saori notices this and feels bad. she didn't mean to shut johnny out. she really just doesn't like talking about her problems. if she did it with johnny right now, she'd be ratting his ear off, and she doesn't want that. not when they're supposed to-shit.

this. right now. this is when they're supposed to be at the dance. and saori's ruined it by being such a total bummer and forced johnny to cheer her up. this is her fault.

"i'm sorry," she says to him.

johnny is taken aback by her sudden apology. "what? no it's okay," he reassures her quickly. 

"it's not. i'm sorry i downed the mood." saori heaves out a deep sigh. she bits her lip, contemplating whether to shove her problems at johnny.

she decides against it. 

"let's just have fun, yeah? let's push away the negative energy, shoo!" she yells out, making exaggerated arm gestures to "cleanse" the dark atmosphere.

johnny laughs at her shenanigans. "i'm not witch but i'm sure that's not how it goes," he says.

"fine, i'll study witchcraft if that's what it takes," saori grumbles, liking it that she was able to make johnny laugh.

johnny looks at her and just goes with whatever saori wants. if she wants to have fun then so be it.

"wait, is it okay for you to just ditch school? i mean, don't you guys have cleaning to do?" saori wonders.

johnny makes a face. "yeah, you're right," he agrees. "that doesn't sound fun, though. we'll get tired."

"it'll get our mind off of things if we're busy." saori stands up from their booth and holds out her hand. "c'mon, we--well, you've got some duties."

johnny pouts, taking her hand and lets her lead the way back to school. "and here i thought you'd go with me to our escapades."

"no time for that, mister. you have responsibilities," saori berates.

"maybe i don't want them." johnny sighs. 

saori wonders if there's an underlying meaning, but like she said, she wants to have fun right now. she doesn't want to delve into life's drama.

as soon as they got back, half of the campus was already cleaned so they headed straight to the council room. 

there, krystal, the council president, was finishing up the papers, together with the other members.

once she sees johnny at the door, she puts her hands on her hips. "there you are, youngho." she stomps over to them, handing her a file folder. it looked she was about to scold her but one look at saori, and she knew why he fled the scene at the auditorium.