24

- present day (winter) -

"saori! yuta! johnny's here!" yuta's mom calls from downstairs just as the two cousins were getting ready for school.

"why am i included in this, i'm not part of your relationship," yuta grumbles as he and saori pad downstairs.

"here's your lunch." mrs. nakamoto hands the two their bentos before they go out of the house to meet up with johnny.

"i told you, you don't have to pick me up all the time. we can just meet up by the intersection with dons." saori approaches her boyfriend at the gate.

"good morning to you too." johnny greets her with a peck on the lips.

saori feels giddy again. she will never get used to johnny kissing her like this.

"good morning to you too, suh." yuta pushes saori out of the gate, interrupting their moment.

"hey yuta," johnny chuckles sheepishly. "let's go?" he slips his hand into saori's.

"i'm gonna go ahead. you guys are disgusting in the morning." yuta walks ahead of them, clearly not a morning person.

"so, you ready for our mock debate competition later? we're up against doyoung and donghyuck."

saori groans at the reminder. ever since joining the debate team, she's been roasted by those two demons back to back. having them roast her together is just a cherry on top on her debate experience.

johnny laughs at her response and comforts her, saying ten is there as her partner, so she only has to deal with donghyuck.

"still! that kid is something. if he ever runs for president, the whole world will shake." saori complains.

"he's not that bad. he's actually a good kid," johnny defends.

"babe, even mark gets mad at him. and that's mark! the nicest kid in school!" saori saw the two freshmen talk once. it ended up with taeyong and jaehyun having to drag mark away from the sharp-tongued donghyuck.

"nah, that's just how best friends are. that's how you and doyoung are, you know?" johnny reminds her.

saori pouts, defeated. "i guess." donghyuck did resemble doyoung a lot. personality and intellect-wise.

when they arrive at school, the front lobby was crowded by students peeking at the main bulletin board.

johnny, being gifted by tall height, easily read what was written, even spotting ten and taeyong, posting flyers for their dance show.

"what's going on?" saori tugs on her boyfriend's arm.

"it's the dance club's winter charity event," johnny answers.

actually, all clubs had their respective winter charity events, but not all stand-out. in this case, the dance club's is the most hyped one because of its all-star line-up. they had the best of the best performers—they were all dancers in their for pete's sake!—and all were mentored by ms. hyoyeon, herself.

"wow, looks like they're making quite a buzz this year," saori muses. "their stages get more exciting each year."

she glances over to yuta, who was having a hard time standing on his tip-toes. he wanted a peak of the poster, since momo was also part of the club.

"you watching, yutes?" saori asks.

yuta tenses and wearily looks at her. "uh, yeah..." he clears his throat. "i promised momo, so..."