Chapter Nine

Cedric was sat on his favourite couch in the common room, writing up some notes from today's classes. Sadie had just been past informing him all about her day including some very interesting news about his sister. A sudden commotion behind him alerted Cedric to the presence of Max and his sister. Watching as they both fell down the stairs laughing all the way, Cedric decided to call his sister over to share with her the news.

"Oh, dearest Thea?"

"Yes, best brother in the world," Thea replied her voice dripping with sweetness and innocence.

"Oh boy! Here we go again." Max muttered under her breath.

"I just heard some very interesting news from my dear friend, Sadie Carey."

"I'm sorry, Thea. I was telling him about my day and it just slipped out." Sadie said quickly.

"Shush, small child. This is not a murder investigation. I don't assume Thea has killed anyone. Have you Thea?"

"No! Of course not! I was just leaving to get something to eat and Max and Sadie were coming with me." Thea said sweetly pulling Max and Sadie with her as she tried to exit the door.

"Oh, Thea. Was it this I heard about you getting a detention this early in the term." Thea stopped dead in her tracks and turned around with an innocent smile on her face to look at her brother standing there with a smirk clear on his face.

"Oh, Cedric. Have I ever told you that you are the best brother I've ever had and that I really appreciate you always looking out for me and being my brother always?"

"Of course, Thea. But I already knew all those things already, you didn't have to tell me."

"Awesome. So, I'll just be going." Thea tried for the second time to leave but once again Cedric stopped her.

"Okay. You enjoy your food. I'll just write in a letter to mother that you've have decided to go against your promise to her and have got a detention this early in the year."

"Cedric! Don't you dare!"

"Why shouldn't I?"

"Well for one I don't want to receive a Howler tomorrow and I am really sorry about the detention."

"Well, that could add to the motivation for me. Seeing you receive a howler could be quite hilarious to me."

"It could also be very embarrassing."

Max, Sadie and the rest of the Hufflepuffs in the common room watched as the two Diggory siblings went back and forth. No one was completely sure who was winning, they both seemed to be getting increasingly confident. This wasn't unusual of course. Thea and Cedric often had these hilarious fights but always retained their friendly brother/sister bond. Some people were often quite jealous that they didn't share the same bond with their own siblings.

Everyone turned around to see Cedric and Thea hugging it out, their previous argument currently over. That was another thing about the Diggory siblings they could go from fighting to hugging in seconds.

"Have fun at your detention, Thea!"

"You've got to be kidding."

Thea had arrived at Professor McGonagall's office after a fun but quick dinner with Sadie and Max. Thea often enjoyed the few times, she got to spend time with just the girls without the boys. There were things that the girls simply couldn't talk about near the boys. Things such as Max's long-time crush on Alexander and Sadie's ongoing struggles with her mother, some things that the boys wouldn't understand. Thea had been reluctant to leave the girls to attend her detention with Professor McGonagall. She just hoped that it wouldn't be too hard and wasn't with anyone else. Of course, Thea was never that lucky.

"It's good to see you too, Thea." George greeted her. Him and Fred wearing identical grins at her.

"What did you two do this time?" Thea asked.

"You say that like we've done this before."

"You have."

"Fine then. Why are you here? What do you think, Freddie?" George asked his twin brother nudging him. "The perfect Thea getting a detention."

"I'm not perfect, that's my brother."

"Well Georgie, I heard a rumour that Thea wasn't paying attention in Minnie's class so she got stuck with us and detention."

"That's correct, Mr Weasley." Professor McGonagall said from behind Fred hiding her true amusement as he shot five feet into the air. "Now are you three ready for your detention?"

"Are you asking for the honest answer or-"George began but was cut off by Professor McGonagall.

"Tonight you will be scrubbing the floor where the Weasley's prank went wrong and left powder, liquid and a horrible smell behind."

"Of course, Professor McGonagall," Thea said respectfully hopefully she would let them use magic so they could quickly get it done and head off to bed but Professor McGonagall had other plans.

"Without the use of magic."

"So, Thea. How is your friend, Maxine?" Fred asked Thea.

"Her name is Max."

"Oh okay. How is Max?"

"She's fine. Why do you ask?"

"Oh. No reason. Just curious."

"Smooth, Freddie. Real smooth." George muttered under his breath ducking the punch Fred sent his way.

"Are you two thinking of entering the Tri-Wizard Tournament?"

"We would love too. But-"

"We can't. Underage. Our birthday isn't until April." Those two really had to stop the whole finishing each other's sentences thing.

"How.... unfortunate." Thea said mockingly.

Fred and George stuck their tongues out at Thea and Thea replied just as immaturely before turning back to her cleaning trying to ignore the twins hushed whispering.