Chapter Forty-Nine

After they had finished their 'walk', George and Thea did look around Hogsmeade a bit looking for Angelina and Fred but quickly came to the conclusion that they had gone back up to the castle. So holding hands they both headed up to the castle as well talking animatedly the entire way.

"Thank you for a great day." Thea said giving George's hand a small squeeze.

"Thank you for making it a great day." George replied squeezing her hand in response.

On the way back to the castle, Thea and George passed Max and Alexander who looked a little shocked at Thea and George's entwined hands. George started to pull Thea away from them but she pulled the other way.

"It's okay, George." Thea muttered just loud enough for him to hear. "How are you two?"

Max looked around a little confused checking to see if there was anyone else around. "Are you talking to us?"

"Yes, I am. I was asking how you two were."

"Oh. We're great, Thea. Thanks." Alexander replied. "And you?"

"Better."

"That's good to hear." Max said, smiling although the entire interaction was awkward.

"Well, we better get going, so say goodbye Thea." George said trying to get Thea out of the situation that was making her feel uncomfortable.

"Bye, enjoy your day." Thea replied awkwardly. Once Alexander and Max had walked off, George pulled Thea into a hug trying his best to comfort her. Once he pulled away however, he saw the tears threatening to spill.

"Oh, Thea. It's alright, come on, no tears, please." George's voice cracked slightly towards the end of his sentence seeing Thea upset had made him upset as well.

"I'm sorry."

"No don't be sorry."

"It's just...that whole interaction wouldn't have been so awkward if I hadn't shouted at them to stay away." Thea said her words almost interlegible in her emotional state.

"That wasn't your fault, Thea. You were in a deep state of grief and not fully in control of your emotions. I'm sure they understand."

"You do?" Thea asked wiping the tears away with the back of her hand.

"I do. It will all work out in the end." George said pulling her back into a hug, trying not to worry about how little there was of her. "You are eating aren't you, Thea?"

"I am. I promise. You saw me at lunch!" Thea exclaimed.

George chuckled at the memory of Thea trying to bite into a chicken drumstick but not knowing the right way to do it, leaving her with chicken everywhere. "I did. You ready to head back to castle and to Fred and Angelina?"

Thea laughed slightly. "I don't think I will ever be ready for those two."

"I have to agree with you there Thea."

By the time they got back to the Hogwarts castle, Fred had settled himself just inside the entrance with a packet of chocolate frogs beside him, watching everyone that entered the hall, clearly looking for his brother and Thea.

Thea had spotted Fred first and pointed him out to George who looked almost ready to swim to the bottom of the Black Lake and stay there for an eternity. Thea squeezed George's hands in a reassuring manner before turning back to where Fred sat only to find out that he had seen them first.

"Oh, Merlin's beard."

"Hi, you two. How was your day?" Fred tried to casually walk up to them, pretending that he didn't care when he nearly tripped over a rock sending the two of them into stitches once again.

Like Alexander and Max, Fred couldn't stop staring at their conjoined hands but soon his eyes passed onto their faces where they immediately fell on the tear tracks and slightly puffy eyes that Thea still had from her crying earlier.

"George, what's this?" Fred said pointing to the tear tracks. "Did you make her cry?"

"No, of course not." George replied. "We did bump in Alexander and Max, though." George muttered.

"Oh." Fred said.

"It's fine, Fred. I just had one of those moments."

"You sure, Thea?"

"Positive, Fred."

"I just wanted to check because like our mum said at Christmas..." Fred started.

"You're one of us now and we will do anything to protect you." George continued before pulling Thea into a little side hug.

"I'll just go then." Fred said excusing himself.

"Get back here, Fred." Thea said, and Fred didn't need to be told twice. He bounded over before promptly pulling them into a group hug that left Thea struggling for air.

"Too tight, Fred..." Thea said before pretending to collapse onto the floor leading to both the twins shouting out in shock.

George quickly bent down to see if she was breathing, she was. George breathed out a sigh of relief. "Thea?" George asked questioningly bending over her so Fred couldn't see. "Thea, are you alright?"

He watched as Thea opened one eye and winked at him and he immediately caught on about what was going on. George turned to Fred before shouting at him. "Look at what you did, Fred. I know you are very like our mother, but you really didn't need to squeeze her to death like she does."

"I'm sorry, George." Fred turned away, needing to face away from his visibly mad brother. "And I'm sorry, Thea." Fred turned back around to face the girl only to find she had disappeared. "Thea? George, where did she go?"

George had disappeared as well leading to Fred's eyebrows to form a line. He looked around for them before he was shocked out of his skin.

"BOO!"

"ARRRGH!" Fred screamed jumping several feet into the air and landing on the ground with a loud thump.

Rubbing his backside, Fred quickly spun around to find Thea, perfectly fine, high-fiving a grinning George.

"If you keep trying to give me a heart attack, you two. I won't get to be the best man at your wedding." Fred retorted, grinning triumphantly as the two of them quickly turned bright red in the face.