Chapter Sixty-Six

For the next few weeks after apologizing and making up with her friends, Thea Diggory was in a very good mood. Even Miles' complaining and snide comments or another person missing could not even bring her down.

Thea was more than aware that the world was changing and such how dark times they found themselves in nowadays. Her job was changing, it didn't just consist of her doing examinations or lessons and then heading straight home and occasionally attending an order meeting. She was seeing exactly what the world was like, consoling families that had lost a family member to the Dark Lord's cause, solving crimes and deciphering what had really happened.

Her job kept her extremely busy even more than before. It didn't help that she had Tonks to confide in anymore. Tonks, as well as several other Aurors, were stationed in Hogsmeade to protect Hogwarts and surrounds from any attacks.

She hadn't seen most people in the Order in ages because they were all struggling to solve the issue of Ollivander's disappearance. Thea had given her opinion on the matter and had tried to help solve it but it was already taken care of.

Thea had looked forward to Christmas for so long because she would get to see everyone, Order members and the younger teenagers who would be returning from Hogwarts for the holidays. She had thoroughly enjoyed the Christmas break which provided her a chance to finally relax. She had spent most of the holiday, avoiding Fred and George who had seemed quite shocked to see her there. It had been great to see everyone but now she was back at work and finding herself even more busier than before.

Thea arrived at the Auror Office the next day to see Elliot and Miles standing around looking confused at everything that was happening around them. It was chaos, Aurors everywhere, hurrying around, all of them with concerned expressions on their faces.

"What's going on?" She asked the two but was interrupted by Robards ushering them into his office.

Thea sat in her usual spot in the middle, looking up to Robarbs who had all the tutors on either side of him. She made slight eye-contact with Mad-Eye, trying to get him to tell her what was going on, but he remained silent and still.

"I'm sure you are all curious to what is going on, out there." Robards started pointing outside.

"That's one way to say it," Miles muttered from beside Thea.

"We recently received some news, that another Muggle family was tortured then killed brutally by someone who we believe to be a Death Eater supporter. I have discussed with all your mentors and we all agree that you are all prepared to enter such a crime scene. Up until recently, you have only been on minor scenes, comforting the victims rather than solving the crime.

"Minor?" Thea spluttered out. "That woman the other day lost her husband just because he was a muggle-born. It was an unprovoked attack!"

"That will be enough, Miss Diggory. I was under the impression you were all able to deal with this, perhaps I was wrong in my judging of character."

Thea quickly shut her mouth, continuing to listen to Robards' description of the event.

"We don't have much on the identity of the person but I believe he was caught on the scene and there is significant evidence to point to the fact that they did commit the crime. That is all for now, your tutors will accompany you to the scene where we will then find something for you to do."

Thea quickly headed out of the office with Mad-Eye Moody by her side, he lead her through the corridors until they reached the apparition spot.

"I know you still have strong opinions about that murder the other day but I don't think it would be worth getting kicked off the course." Mad-Eye Moody said amused.

"Yeah, yeah." Thea sighed. "I didn't mean to, I just couldn't stand it when he called it a minor crime. I mean someone still lost their life, a wife lost her husband and their four children lost a father. How is that any less major than a whole family being murdered. That family will never be the same after the loss of their husband/father." Thea said quickly, getting herself more and more worked up.

"Thea. Thea!" Mad-Eye shouted when Thea wasn't listening to him, beginning to ramble on. "Let's go already, I'm sure everything will work itself out."

But it didn't from the second, Thea arrived on the scene, a nice house in a nice muggle neighborhood with Aurors swarming the scene and muggles walking past confused at why those nice 'policemen and policewoman' were all holding sticks at the dead bodies of the nice family that had lived there.

Robards had also arrived on the scene not too long after Thea and Mad-Eye Moody, the rest of the trainees and their tutors not too far behind.

"We have now identified the criminal so your job with your tutors will be to interrogate the criminal while the rest of the Aurors will continue to interview muggles that witnessed it all and search for more evidence. The criminal is just through here." Robards lead the group through to where the criminal was sitting with several Aurors standing guard around him.

Thea looked up into the eyes of the criminal as she froze in place, her heart stopping as his own eyes widened in recongition.