Chapter Twenty-Six

Dear Thea,

It's lovely to hear from you again. I've missed your letters, but I as well haven't had much time to respond. Beauxbatons seems to be getting busier by the day now and we aren't even hosting a tournament! I think it's because exams are coming up, the weather is starting to warm up and everyone is looking forward to a peaceful summer! I know I can't wait!

Exams are coming up for me as well and everyone seems to expect so much more from us this year for some reason. I'm flat out studying all the time and the library seems to be almost like my second home right now! Although I'm sure it's the same for you. Despite us being at different school, I've never been more jealous of Cedric right now. He doesn't have to do exams, does he? I heard one of Fleur's friends read out a letter which said that the champions didn't have to do exams because of the tournament. Is this true?

I'm so glad that Cedric is doing so well in the tournament. The last task sounds so scary, mermaids! You'd wonder why they chose that and why the champions decided to join the tournament. Eternal glory doesn't sound good enough for me! As for Fleur coming last, she won't be for long, she's going to come first I can assure you that! She has had proper schooling and she has a good head on her shoulders and she is going to do fine. I sound like a proud parent, oh god!

Well, about our ongoing argument regarding wish is the better school, I can assure you that Beauxbatons is a lot better. We actually learn how to be ladies instead of running around, messing about with no manners like you lot all do at Hogwarts! (I'm joking, well maybe not!) I honestly can't believe that we are all graduating next year. It seems like only yesterday we were trying to decide. about which school for me to go to and you were getting ready to go to Hogwarts because you had already decided. We were so little and innocent back then!

I honestly can't wait for summer! It's going to be so nice just to stretch out on some grass and relax! I would love to come back to yours again, but I honestly don't mind either way! Although it would be nice to see Max, Alexander and the others again. If Cedric does win which he won't I'll look forward to plenty of parties and celebrations.

I hope you are well, Thea! I know how you get. You are probably stressing a lot for exams and for Cedric. You are going to do fine! I'm positive, look at me being all positive. You better take a picture it won't last long!

Just don't forget to breathe! Say hi to the others for me and please remind Cedric to answer my letters! I would like to hear how he is doing not just from his sister! He might be busy and all, but he can take a break and answer my letters!

Looking forward to seeing you at summer! Wishing Cedric, the best of luck on his last task and all the best for you and the others for your exams. You are going to kill it!

Your friend,

Nina

Nina finished off her letter and read it through to double check for any spelling or grammar mistakes. Waving goodbye to her friends she decided to take a quick break and actually deliver the letter to her owl. Most of the time, she either forgot to respond or even to actually send the letter.

Her owl didn't help either. Carlos wasn't the most trustworthy owl, often losing his way and getting lost. There had been many letters throughout the years that hadn't made it to Hogwarts either arriving back at Beauxbatons with Carlos or getting lost on the way. Nina however couldn't find it in her heart to get rid of him. He had been her owl since the first year and despite being a little slow he had an amazing temperament and was a really good owl.

Nina tied the letter to Carlos' foot and fed him a quick treat to get him going. Watching him fly out the window hopefully on his way to Hogwarts, Nina wished him luck.

"Come on, Carlos. You can do this!"

The last task of the tournament was creeping closer and closer. For awhile it used to just be in the back of people's minds lurking, like final exams or a due date set a few months later. But now it was the only thing anyone could talk about, it was like the Yule Ball but worse!

No one knew what was going to happen not even the champions and it was the main topic of gossip currently. Everywhere anyone walked in the corridors you could see and hear people whispering about it.

Thea was walking through the corridors observing this behaviour. She was looking for Cedric. The boy had just left Marquis in the library apparently telling Marquis that he needed a few moments to catch his thoughts, but he never came back. Marquis was pretty sure it was just nerves taking over and Thea was pretty sure that's what it was as well.

Thea turned a corner and her eyes immediately found Cedric sitting by himself staring out the window, in deep thought. Watching him for a few moments, Thea decided to announce her arrival.

"What are you thinking about, bro?" Cedric looked startled for a moment before his facial features softened once he realised it was Thea.

"A lot of things actually. The tournament, school and just life in general."

"Please don't start asking me existential questions." Thea replied holding her hands up in surrender.

"Oh no, of course not!"

"Mind if I sit?"

"Go ahead."

Thea and Cedric sat in silence for a little while just appreciating each other's company before Cedric asked an unexpected question.

"You know how we were both obsessed with Peter Pan as a kid?"

"We still are." Thea said laughing. "But yes?"

"You always wanted to be a fairy and you would often ask me what I wanted to be, and I never knew."

"Yeah?" Thea replied genuinely curious.

"I know now, and I think I knew back then as well."

"Go on."

"I've always wanted to be a lost boy. Be able to run away, escape life, get lost."

"Really?"

"Yeah. It's always appealed to me."

"I just always thought you wanted to be Peter Pan because you reminded me so much of him. So smart, brave and kind."

"Really?" Cedric asked genuinely shocked. "Because Thea I'm really none of those things. I'm absolutely terrified for tomorrow. I'm not even doing exams this year and my studies have started to slip because of this tournament and I've just always tried to be kind because that's what mum expects of me."

"Cedric." Thea sighed.

"It's true, Thea. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it."

"Cedric, come on. This is just the nerves getting to you. You are an amazing person and leader and I'm extremely blessed to be able to call you my brother."

"Thanks, Thea. I needed that."

"You are more than welcome." Thea smiled at her brother. "You know that theory that we come back as something after we die?"

"I've always questioned the true reasoning behind that theory but yeah?

"I've always had a theory that we come back as something we enjoy more than anything. If this is true I think you will come back as a lost boy."

"You think so?"

Thea grinned at him. "Oh, I know so."