Chapter Twenty-Three

Valentine's Day was fast approaching as well as the second task and Thea was pretty sure, Cedric hadn't worked out the clue yet, which was extremely worrying and didn't help at all to Thea's already dangerously high-stress levels. 

As if the people in the castle couldn't get any more excited. Thea was painfully aware of how she had no plans for Valentine's Day. She had never been a fan of the holiday simply because why is there a designated holiday when two people could show their love for each other on any other day. 

But considering all her friends had plans of their own, it was considerably more difficult this year.

Sadie and Lee were coming more and more infatuated with each other and Thea were pretty sure they had made plans on the Yule Ball night for Valentine's Day. They were both very excited and Lee seemed to be the only thing, Sadie talked about nowadays. 

Alexander and Max were, of course, going together considering they were actually dating and all. Max had checked with Thea several times to make sure that was okay considering Valentine's Day had for a long time been when the two girls and occasionally Sadie would pig out on chocolate and talk about the cutest guys in their year as well as the latest gossip. 

Marquis despite really enjoying his evening at the Yule Ball with Jax hadn't progressed any more than friends. Jax was more than happy to go further than friends but it just didn't work out well between them. 

Cedric and Miss Don't Talk To Her Boyfriend's Friends or Family Because Of A Reason No One Knows, otherwise known as Cho probably had plans. But Thea had long let it slide about the whole thing with Cho. She just hoped that Cho would talk to them eventually.

Thea sat on a chair by the fireplace in the common room one afternoon, writing letters to her parents as well as her other friends when Cedric bounded in, his hair still dripping. 

"What did you do? Go for a swim with the giant squid? I'm surprised you made it out alive." Thea said grinning. 

"What? Are you saying that I wouldn't be able to fight off a giant squid?" Cedric replied shaking his head and sending water drops all over Thea and her half-written letters. 

"Seriously, Cedric?" Thea replied gesturing to the water droplets. "I was just finishing a letter to our parents, I can easily say some rude stuff about you." 

Thea and Cedric both lived in constant fear that either one of them or a friend or professor who write something bad about the other in a letter home to Anne and Amos. Anne never missed an opportunity to send a howler and Thea had received quite a few over the years. They were legendary. 

"You better not!" Cedric replied. "But besides whether or not I could fight a giant squid, although I'm pretty sure I could, I finally figured out the egg."

"You did? Really?"

"Yes, of course!" Cedric said. "Do you really think that I would joke about something like that?"

"Well, I hope not."

"Good. Because I was lying." 

What? CEDRIC!" Thea shouted. "But hang on why are you all wet then?"

"I swear you are the most gullible person in the whole world."

"Well, fine then.." Thea grumbled. "Are you going to at least tell me what it is?"

"Mermaids," Cedric whispered in her ear. 

Thea's eyes widened. "No way! You've got to be joking." 

"I promise you that I'm not."

"Wow! What are you going to do?"

"Well, I honestly don't know but I'll work it out, I'm sure."

"You better, Cedric. Mermaids are vicious creatures and the task is already dangerous enough, please be careful."

"When am I not?"

"I swear, you are so full of yourself.

Fred and George stood with Lee who was still talking about his date with Sadie for Valentine's Day. George watched Thea who was down the other end of the hall talking with her brother and one of their friends, Marquis.

"You know one of these days, she is going to catch you staring and wonder why the enemy is staring at her," Fred said loudly at George quickly bringing him out of his trance. 

"She isn't the enemy," George said quickly defending Thea. "She's cool."

Fred smiled at his twin brother with a knowing look. "Fine then, why don't you go tell her that then."

"W-what?"

"Go. Tell. Thea. You. Think. She. Is Cool." Fred said slowly dragging out all the syllables in each word.

"Um..no," George replied. 

"Why don't you just say hi to her?" Lee asked George. 

"No."

"Why not?" Fred asked.

"Um...I don't know."

"Cool, then go talk to her," Fred said. "Look she's even coming this way."

Thea walked past the twins and Lee while talking with Cedric and Marquis about the second task when George approached her.

"Hi, Thea," George said with a little wave. "How are you?"

"Hi, George!" Thea replied waving back. "I'm good. What about you? Looking forward to the second tournament?"

"Yeah, I'm great," George replied grinning. "I can't wait for the second tournament, they are fun to watch. Good luck, by the way, Cedric."

"Thanks, George," Cedric said. 

"Well, cool. I guess I'll see you around then, Thea."

"Yeah. You too. Bye then."

"Bye, Thea."

"Bye, George."

By the end of the conversation, both of them were almost as red as George's hair. Thea turned back to Cedric and Marquis and the three of them continued their walk. 

Thea hid her face behind her hair as the two boys gave her an knowing look.

"What's the matter with you two?"

"I think the real question is what's the matter with you, Thea. Smiling like a school girl in love, you are." Marquis said grinning.

"I'm not in l-love."

"Sure." Marquis and Cedric said in unison grinning at Thea's flustered state.