Chapter Sixty-Nine

"What did you need me for, Robards?" Mad-Eye Moody asked roughly. 

"The person you are tutoring, Thea Diggory went against my direct orders and went back to the crime scene to continue to question the main eye-witness about the events that had happened."

"She did what!" 

"She then supposedly collected evidence to say that other person who was at the scene, apparated away because the eye-witness heard a bang that seemed to be the sound. She also produced this wand that was also found at the scene by the eye-witness who assumed it was just a nicely decorated stick that she gave to her grandson." 

"So if you are so sure that Thea was lying about all of this, why did you call me here?" Mad-Eye Moody asked. 

"As much as I want to immediately dismiss Miss Diggory because she broke the rules and disobeyed my direct orders, I have to admit that's she's by far one of the most talented Aurors we've had in a long time. I would like to be able to keep her if I can."

"I have to agree with you there, she's very talented."

"So could you please see what the last spell on that wand that was cast was and double check over the evidence that Thea collected."

"Of course." 

"What on earth happened, Thea?" Elliot demanded. 

He had apparated over to Tonks and Thea's apartment, the second he could leave work. It was clear that something big had happened between Thea and Robards and that she was now suspended because of what had happened but Elliot had been stressing all day long about what it was.

"I'm suspended."

"Yes, I assumed as much. But why?" 

"I went back to the crime scene to collect more evidence and I did but Robards didn't believe me." 

"You did what! Thea! That was against Robards' direct orders!"

"Yes, I bloody well know! But I was following my instincts and I know that James is innocent! The wand I found at the scene only proved that."

"Wand!" Elliot shouted, pulling at his hair. "Thea! You are going to get yourself kicked off the course, permanently."

"Yes, I know. Robards has already threatened that." Thea said, shrugging her shoulders.

"You don't even care! Fine, Thea! Try and get yourself kicked off the course but just know that I won't be protecting you anymore!" Elliot shouted before slamming the front door on his way out. 

"Robards." Mad-Eye Moody entered his boss' office, trying to hide his pride. Thea had been right in every circumstance. He had discovered that the last spell on the wand was actually the Imperius curse which had been used on James Duerre who had been visiting the muggle family because they were distant family of his, who didn't know he was, in fact, a wizard. 

Even the extra evidence Thea had recovered still rang true, once they had realized what was going on, they had tracked the owner of the wand to a Death Eater living out of London who had admitted to everything, including putting James under the Imperius curse, apparating from the scene and placing false evidence in his apartment. 

Mad-Eye Moody was extremely proud of Thea, she hadn't even taken her final examinations yet but had already proven herself to be a skilled Auror.

"What is it, Mad-Eye Moody?" Robards asked. 

"Thea was right, about all of it." Mad-Eye Moody said. 

"Really?"

"Yes." Mad-Eye Moody said before explaining everything that had happened to Robards. 

"Well, good job, I suppose. I guess I have a letter to write and an apology to say."

That night, Thea barely slept, tossing and turning the whole night. The truth was that she did care, she didn't want to lose her place on the course, she finally felt like she was making a difference. The Auror's she had met had quickly become another family almost and she didn't want to lose that. But she was confident in what her instincts had been telling her and the evidence that she had placed forward and she only hoped that Robards would be able to see that. 

So she was a little surprised when she woke up the next morning to see a letter tied to an owl that was waiting patiently in the kitchen addressed to her. She tore into it, as it requested her presence back at Robards' office as he had something he had to tell her. Thea's heart raced as she quickly got dressed before apparating to the Auror office.

"Well, well, well, look who it is." Miles greeted her on her arrival. "The suspended Auror. Or wait you are not even an Auror yet, it's so sad that you get kicked out before we even take our final exams." 

"And last time I checked you aren't one either," Elliot said sharply before turning back to Thea and giving her a slight nod, his mood very different to when she had last seen him. 

"Ah, Miss Diggory. Please come to my office." Robards said, upon seeing her arrival.

"Of course, sir," Thea replied as politely as she could still feel the anger she still held from the previous day's confrontation bubbling. 

"Now, Miss Diggory, Thea, I believe I have an apology to make. You were right, in fact, you were right about all of it and I'm very sorry that I didn't believe you. You are a very talented Auror and this just shows through your effort and determination throughout this case. And if you would like to continue with your training, I would love to have you back."

"Thank you very much, sir. I will, of course, continue with my training as I thoroughly enjoy it. But I have one more favor to ask."

"Of course, what is it?"

"May I please see Mr. Duerre?"

"Although I don't think it is a very good idea, I can't say no, I'll make sure to organize that for you."

"Thank you very much, sir." 

"Well, Miss Thea Diggory, how does it feel to be everyone's hero including my own," James said to Thea upon greeting her. 

"I'm not a hero."

"Well, I think you are, you saved me from enduring a lifetime in Azkaban, all because someone framed me. You followed your instincts which were right all the time, even though everyone told you were wrong, you stuck to your beliefs. I'm pretty sure that when the time comes you will be an amazing Auror."

"Thank you, James. It's good to see you." 

"It's good to see you, too."