Chapter Seventeen

"I just can't believe you are going with someone and that person is LEE JORDAN!" Cedric started after Lee Jordan had left. Cedric had never been a big fan of Lee Jordan because he believed that Lee was often biased in his commentary in Quidditch matches.

"I know," Sadie replied. "I just didn't want to go alone even though I thought I had given up."

"You had given up." Thea pointed out. "You expressed how you were giving up a few days ago."

"Fine. I'm going with Lee Jordan and I don't want to hear anything more about it. Who knows it might be fun?"

"Ok then."

Thea slumped over the table at the breakfast table the next morning. She was exhausted, life was too busy between school work, worrying about Cedric's progress in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, all this drama between her friends and the people they interacted with and now with the Yule Ball, Thea's enthusiasm levels seemed to be dropping more and more every day.

Thea had spent last night hunched over her transfiguration book practically absorbing the pages and words in hope that she would ace her quick quiz today that Professor McGonagall had announced the day before. The rest of her classmates weren't freaking out as much; they had known the theory for a few weeks but Thea had procrastinated and found herself busier and busier with other work that she had forgotten to do it.

George Weasley entered the Great Hall without his brother by his side for once. Fred was still in the boy's dormitory getting ready but George hungry and with a big day ahead of him had headed down before him. George looked around, there weren't that many people in the Great Hall this early. He was looking down all the tables looking for someone to sit with when he looked over to the Hufflepuff table and noticed someone who looked a lot like Thea sitting slumped over the table, exhausted. It didn't settle with him how awful she looked so he had to make his way over.

"Are you okay?" 

Thea looked up to see George Weasley towering over her concerned. 

"I'm fine, just exhausted. Thanks for asking."

"Obviously. But any way you are welcome."

"Hang on..."

"What is it?"

"Where is your twin? Are you two trying to prank me?" Thea asked whipping her head back and forth looking for any incriminating evidence.

George did his best to suppress the grin that threatened to spread across his face as he watched Thea look around for his brother or a prank that had been set up. Ever since they were little, George had always been fascinated by Thea. Her confidence, headstrongness, her charm and pretend innocence always fascinated him. But Fred and George and Thea had been fighting since they were little as well. George had once asked his mother about what started the constant fighting between them but Molly had just shaken her head and smiled. Fred and George had pranked Thea during the years in hope to get her attention but it never worked. There were a few times where Thea seemed a bit vulnerable ready to share something big but she quickly put her shield back up and the twins never got real answers.

"Fred is still getting ready in the dormitory. Just between you and me, I think Fred is a little self-centred, he spends fifty minutes each day just on his hair." George lowered his voice.

Thea took one look at George's fake serious face and burst out laughing. Of course, this set George off as well and the two couldn't stop. Laughter echoed off the walls magnified by the concrete. Professor McGonagall walked over and politely asked them to stop but Thea and George continued to talk. George was glad to see Thea's frown changed into a grin.

Everyone was starting to enter the Great Hall now and they were most intrigued to see George Weasley at the Hufflepuff table discussing something with Thea Diggory. Fred finally entered (after doing his hair for fifty minutes) the Great Hall and looked for his twin only to see him talking with Thea. 

"What is George doing over there?" Fred asked Ron, Harry and Hermione as he sat down at the Gryffindor table. 

"Replacing you."

"Talking with Thea."

"Cheering her up, you two. Thea seemed upset, so George walked over to cheer her up." Hermione correct Ron and Harry.

"But-" Fred looked awfully confused. "But we are on different sides. George and I team up against Thea."

"That's not very nice, Fred."

"Did I ask for your opinion, Hermione?"

Max, Alexander, Marquis, Sadie and Cedric all sat down the other end of the Hufflepuff table watching Thea talk to George. 

"Why is she talking to a Weasley?" Sadie asked. She had often fallen victim to the Weasley twin's pranks and she definitely wasn't the biggest fans of theirs. 

"Our families are very close, Sadie," Cedric replied.

"So?"

"Thea has known the twins and the rest of the Weasley family almost since birth."

"So wouldn't she be friends with them then?"

"No. The three of them have been at each other's throats almost since birth." 

"Oh."

The five of them looked up to see George leave Thea and headed back to the Gryffindor table where a very confused Fred was getting ready to confront his brother.

Thea got up and walked down the table to where the rest of her friends were.

"What was that all about?" Max asked.

"It was nothing."

"I beg to differ, Thea," Marquis said. "You two talked for nearly an hour."

"He was cheering me up."

Sadie muttered something that none of them could hear.

"What was that Sadie?" Thea asked.

"Nothing, absolutely nothing."

"George, do you mind explaining to me why I enter the Great Hall to see my brother talking to the enemy." 

"One, she isn't the enemy, Fred. She is our friend."

"Your friend but continue."

"Two, I was just hoping to cheer her up. She was upset about something." 

"Three, hang on. I don't have a third point." George stopped. "Are we okay Fred?"

"Of course," Fred said. "What would I do without you? Do you want to go prank someone?" 

"Of course." 

Fred and George ran out of the Great Hall off to plan their prank on their unsuspecting victim all thoughts of breakfast forgotten. 

"I swear, nothing could ever split those two apart, even a girl," Hermione said slightly shaking her head.