Chapter Eighteen

Thea could sense the excitement and anticipation in the air from the minute she opened her eyes. Christmas break had finally started, and Thea was extremely thankful for it despite the fact that the ball was so soon. Homework had been piling up towards the end of the term and Thea despite being a generally good student had not been on top of it. Between stressing about Cedric and seemingly helping everyone else about their problems. It didn't leave a lot of time for homework or for time just for her. Yes, it was Christmas Eve which meant that tomorrow was the day of the ball. She was excited but not as much as the other girls in her dormitory. Even Max was excited, which was extremely unusual. Thea needed an escape, a miracle even. She started to plan her escape, maybe a day spent in the library would be good or she would find a small place in a fairly quiet hallway where she could just read or something.

"Thea!" Sadie shouted at Thea shaking her vigorously despite her already being awake.

"Yes, Sadie?"

"It's the day before the Yule Ball!"

"Really? I didn't know, thank you for telling me." Thea replied sarcasm dripping off every word. She was always more sarcastic and mean in the mornings, Thea liked her sleep.

"Oh yeah. Also, Cedric wants you."

"Really?"

"Yeah, he is waiting in the common room for you, something about family traditions."

Thea completely opened her eyes and took in Sadie's attire. She had clearly been up for a while and had already gone out and done stuff. Excitement now bubbled up inside Thea. She had completely forgotten. Cedric had discussed with her about the possibility of continuing their family traditions despite it just being the two of them this Christmas.

Thea flew out of bed and into the bathrooms to have a quick shower and to brush her teeth before pulling on a jumper over some jeans before heading downstairs to find Cedric.

Cedric was sitting in a chair by the fire reading yet another Quidditch magazine. He looked up and saw Thea standing there looking at him quizzically.

"Hi, Thea." He said with a wave. "How are you?"

"How many of those magazines do you actually own?" Thea asked.

"Too many and thanks for asking I'm great."

"I'm good too," Thea replied awkwardly.

"So, what do you think of the idea?" Cedric asked.

"I think it's brilliant."

"Well, I did think of the idea."

Thea rolled her eyes at him before continuing. "I just hope mum and dad aren't missing us too much."

"Of course, they aren't. From what I read in the letters, dad is bragging to everyone at work about how I'm the Hogwarts champion. As if they don't already know from the paper."

"Yeah. So, what do you have planned for us today, Cedric Diggory, the Hogwarts champion."

Cedric sighed before rolling his eyes and sticking his tongue out.

"If you keep up that attitude, missy. You won't get to have any fun."

Laughter filled the corridor as Cedric and Thea ran up it. Thea was holding a map of the castle with big red crosses marked across it. For as long as they could remember a scavenger hunt had been held at the Diggory household on Christmas Eve. Small gifts would be hidden around the house and the Diggory siblings would take it in turns to find a point and choose which one of the two prizes they wanted first. However sometimes the prizes were enchanted and would keep moving, Cedric had had a lot of fun with this particular part of the scavenger hunt.

"Found it!" Thea had found the last point and bent down to pick up the packet of jelly slugs only for it to be flung across the hallway to the other side. Slightly confused, Thea made her way over only for it to fly back over to the other side. Now understanding exactly what was going on, Thea rounded on Cedric demanding for him to lower his wand. Once he refused, Thea pulled out her own wand.

"Expelliarmus." Cedric's wand flew through the air and landed in Thea's outstretched palm with a satisfying thud. Smirking at Cedric, Thea bent down to retrieve her well-earned packet of jelly slugs, opening them and offering Cedric one as a peaceful gift.

"So, what's next?" Thea asked her mouth full of jelly slugs, the rest of the candy she had collected on the scavenger hunt surrounded her and Cedric.

"Well..." Cedric replied his mouth just as full. "There's always this." Cedric pulled out their tattered copy of Peter Pan.

Thea smiled. "Of course, the oldest Diggory family tradition there is."

If Thea thought that all the girls were excited yesterday, she had another thing coming. Thea was woken up early again by the cheerful, excited chirps of Sadie. There was no hope of trying to go back to sleep, sitting up in bed, she thought about last night. It would be one of the last times that Cedric and she would really get a chance to just be by themselves. After Christmas, Cedric would be putting all efforts into cracking the code of the egg to help to prepare for the next task. Thea was extremely worried about him but there was nothing she could do.

"He will be alright, he promised me." Thea whispered to herself.

"What did you say, Thea?" Max asked.

"Nothing, just mumbling song lyrics."

"What song?"

"Um...I'm not sure."

"Ok?" Max replied confused. "I'm so excited for tonight."

"I can tell," Thea said with a chuckle. "You are practically shaking."

Max and Thea laughed together before observing the chaos that was ensuing. Girls were constantly coming in and out of their dormitory complaining about their hair or something, all in various stages of dress. A girl came in with her hair already done and her shoes but was missing the makeup and actual dress. It was hilarious to see how serious everyone was taking it.

"How was your evening with Cedric," Max asked.

"It was really good."

"Let me guess you two read Peter Pan again."

"Of course," Thea replied. "Well, I don't know about you Max. But I'm using the rest of the day to just get ready. I'm going down to the great hall for breakfast."

"I'll come with you, I'm starving."

"You always are.