Chapter 3: Last Chances

As Gavin entered his car, he remembered the incident in the break room yesterday. He recalled Connor's LED flashing yellow and red and the look of hurt on his face.

He had to keep this tough guy act up if he wanted to get through his life without embarassment. 

But was it really worth it?

Gavin stared at the phone in his hands, hovering over Connor's contact number.

He hated himself so much. He has never hated himself more.

He used to hate androids so much but now it was the opposite and yet... He was still insulting him.

Was it really worth it? Keeping up the tough guy act? He was only hurting Connor more and more as the days went on. It wouldn't surprise him if one day Connor just came out and ended everything between them.

He would deserve it for being the ultimate asshole.

Maybe he should end the relationship himself to save Connor from future abuse...

His fingers continued to hover over his phone as he tried think of what he wanted to type.

He had to end this. Stop the relationship altogether. Save Connor from his suffering. His fingers started to move, typing out what he wanted to say.

He couldn't send it. His mind told him yes but his heart told him not to send it.

His fingers moved to the backspace button before sending a different text altogether.

Gavin: Hey. You still down for tomorrow night?

The phone went into his pocket before he started the car up and headed home. Connor had been avoiding him at work today, and it would be no surprise if he didn't respond to his text.

If Connor did respond, then Gavin would spoil the fuck out of him just to show how sorry he was. He would show him just how much he cared for him and how much he loved him one way or another.

-x-

Connor was sitting on Hank's couch with Sumo in his lap. His phone vibrated and he knew who it was. The only person who had his number, aside from Hank, was Gavin.

He slowly brought the phone up to his face, his other hand still stroking Sumo. He read the text over and over again, trying to think on whether or not he should respond.

Again, he should be careful. In the back of his head, Hank's words constantly tortured him. What if Gavin was using him to do shit for him? There was no way Gavin could've been so easily reformed.

There's no way that Gavin had a heart.

Connor decided on returning the phone to his pocket. He focused on Sumo once more.

"Hey, kiddo." Hank said, entering the room, "You busy tomorrow night?"

Was he?

He didn't even know.

"No. Not at all, Hank."

"Good." he said, "Would it be any trouble for you to dogsit?"

Connor liked dogs. So no. He didn't have a problem, "Of course not. I would be more than happy to look after Sumo. Why?"

"Well, I'm going away for a few days. Back Tuesday mornin'. Somethin' about me having to spread the word about equality between humans androids."

"Wouldn't it be best if I joined you?"

"No, no, no. No need." he assured him, "Markus actually agreed to come with. Considering he's the 'leader'. And he's bringing along one of his friends. Kara I think."