Chapter 29: New Partners

Just watched 'Love, Simon' for the first time ever and now I have to write gay shit to express my love for that film... Kinda wish that Gav and Con weren't broken up in this story now. How else am I supposed to express the gay af vibes?! :'(

"That's it then." Fowler said, "I'm assigning the RK900 model to you. Your new partner."

"Wh-What?" Gavin questioned, "No. No, I didn't mean that I would work with him-"

Fowler put his hand up to cease Gavin's talking, "I don't want to hear it. If you want Niner away from Lara. Then you will be his new partner."

He wanted to stay away from androids for a while... But now he was having one as his partner.

"There's gotta be someone else. I don't wanna work with a fuckin' android."

"I won't have any of that, Reed! Either you take Niner as your partner. Or he stays with Lara."

Well, there was no way he was leaving Niner with Lara...

"Whatever..." he mumbled, "Wanted to ask..." he leaned forward in his seat, "Can I leave work early?"

"What for?" Fowler glared at him.

"I'm going to a... Well I guess you could call it an 'android acceptance' lesson." he air-quoted.

Fowler just stared at him in confusion, "An android acceptance... lesson." he said, clearly not understanding.

"I don't know what the fuck to call it! I'm meetin' up with my brother, you know? The founder of CyberLife? He's just gonna give me a 'lesson'. Cuz I still hate androids with a fuckin' passion, don't get me wrong..."

"I don't mean to intrude on your personal life, Detective... But how can you hate androids if you are currently intimate with one?" he was curious as to how it was even possible.

Gavin's bit his tongue as a lump formed in his throat, "I... We... We called it off last night."

Fowler accepted androids. He saw them as equal. He thought that androids and humans being together intimately was a step forward in life. He used to have an android for a partner himself and he would give anything to have them back.

"But don't you worry!" Gavin assured, "This won't get in the way of work. Also uhhh... Sorry for bringing all that mushy shit into work. Shoulda left it at home." he chuckled.

And now that Gavin and Connor were apart... Fowler felt as if humanity had taken a step back in progression.

"No need to apologise, Detective. I will allow you to leave work early as long as you don't bother me for the rest of the day."

"You got it, boss." Gavin winked, standing up to leave. He stopped to turn back towards Fowler, "Oh, erm... Red Ice case. And... Fawkes. What's up with those?" his blood boiled as the name Fawkes slipped through his lips.

Fawkes hurt his Connor.

"After Connor found the Red Ice we had more than enough evidence to confront the owner. There was illegal production in play. The Eden Club will officially be shut down in good time."

"And Fawkes?"

"Fawkes..." Fowler trailed off.

Gavin took a threatening step towards the Captain's desk, "If you have let that fuckin' asshole go again-"

"He's still with us. But he is due to leave in a few days. Once all the paperwork has gone through."

"Are you fuckin' kidding me, Fowler?! Do you not give a shit about androids?!"