Chapter 25: Brotherly Reunion

"How much longer?" Gavin asked.

"We shall be arriving in exactly nine minutes and thirty two seconds. As long as there are no interferences." Niner replied, his eyes glued to the road.

Gavin looked back down at Connor. He looked so peaceful but he knew that the android was hurting inside.

"How long will he be sleepin' for?"

"Shouldn't be much longer now. Connor will be awake by the time we reach Mr Kamski's place."

With a nod, Gavin ran his hand through Connor's hair, causing the android to shift in his lap slightly. His other hand came to hold one of Connor's, he brushed his knuckles gently with his thumb.

Niner's LED flashed yellow, knowing full well about the interaction behind him.

Gavin noticed.

"Niner?" he started, "Are you a deviant?"

"No." he replied sternly, "I am just a machine. I am simply accomplishing cases in which I am set by the Captain."

"Are you sure about that?" Gavin questioned, glaring at him through the rear-view mirror, "Cuz you definitely showed anger back at the Eden Club. When you shot Fawkes... You musta felt somethin'."

"I was simply doing what was necessary. Taking Fawkes in. Androids are classed as equal so Fawkes deserves to be behind bars. Connor just got caught in the middle of it."

Gavin wanted to slap the obedience out of Niner.

It just reminded him of how Connor used to be.

It reminded him of how he used to treat Connor.

He pulled Connor tighter towards him, his arms wrapping protectively around the android. 

He wasn't going to treat Connor like shit anymore. And he definitely wasn't going to let anyone else treat him wrong either. He was going to try and be by Connor's side as much as possible. He didn't want to appear as clingy but... he had to make sure people knew that he would kick their ass if he they were to mess with his man.

Gavin felt a hand clutch the front of his shirt. He looked down, "Hey, babe..." Gavin placed a hand on the android's cheek, "We're almost there."

Connor's eyes fluttered as he looked out of the window at the night sky, "I-" his voice cut off as the pain started to seep in once again.

"It's okay, dips- darlin'..." he wasn't going to call Connor 'dipshit' anymore. He had to make sure that Connor knew he respected him.

Connor gave him a weak smile but it soon faded as a groan esaped his mouth.

Gavin's eyes ran across Connor's neck with anger.

Fucking Jamison Fawkes.

He was gettin' out of this one.

There was no way he was going to let Fawkes go this time.

He would kill him if it was necessary.

Gavin calmly hushed him whilst his fingers grazed the android's cheek, "Fawkes will get what he deserves. Me 'n Hank will make sure of it."

Connor's hand then came to rest over his regulator which was still burning in pain, Thirium covered his fingers.

Connor couldn't stop the tears from filling his eyes, "G-Gavin...?"

"If it hurts to talk, then don't." Gavin quickly replied.

But he continued, "Why do humans hate androids?"