Chapter Six

Whoever decided that the weekday starts with Monday had a special place in hell.

When was it made acceptable that weekends should consist of only two days? Why couldn't it be three? Or four? There were seven days in a week, why weren't they divided evenly?

I used to like Mondays. Mondays meant the beginning. It always felt like there was something new to look forward to in the week.

But maybe not this Monday.

Because this Monday felt like a continuation of my depressing weekend. Only it's upped a few notches because the anxiety in the pit of my stomach told me I would surely be seeing Zayn again later at school after asking him to leave last Saturday.

I laid awake in bed even before my alarm rang, staring at my ceiling and contemplating whether or not to attend school. I wasn't sure if I was ready to see Zayn.

I hadn't seen him ever since our fight. I hardly even left my room this past weekend, only going out to get myself something to eat. I also kept my curtains closed and fought the urge to sneak a peek towards Zayn's house to check on how he was doing.

Cat had called me yesterday. She called on my home phone because my cellphone was broken, plus I left it over at her house anyway. She wanted to go over and take the things I left to me but her parents grounded her because she stayed out all day Saturday without even giving them a call. She said she didn't mean to but she had slept most of the Saturday away because of her hangover.

I didn't tell her about my fight with Zayn though. But I did tell her that Harry stayed over and nursed me through my hangover.

Harry had stayed a few hours after my fight with Zayn. But I didn't really get to talk to him about it because just when he asked, Gummy popped in and told us that she cooked some food and that we should join her to eat.

Gummy and Harry mostly kept the small talk going while we ate. Gummy seemed to like him and she kept asking him questions about himself. I found out that his mother and sister still lived in the house he grew up in the UK and that he's here because of some family business. 

After our late lunch, Harry told me he was going because he needed to go see some of his friends and talk to someone. But not before promising me he would come see me again.

I hadn't heard from him since then but I knew I would see him again. He promised me after all.

I was still contemplating whether or not to ditch school when my alarm rang. I immediately pressed it to stop and then decided to just go. It would be very cowardly of me to run away any more than I had.

So I got up, showered and dressed.

I could smell coffee brewing as I made my way down the stairs.

"Morning," I said as I entered the kitchen. I saw Gummy placing the bacon she cooked in a plate. 

She looked up at me and smiled, "Good morning, Elle!"

I sat on the stool by the counter and her place the plate in front of me. I smiled at her and thanked her as she proceeded to pour coffee in two mugs. She gave me one, took the other for herself then proceeded to walk beside me. I poured sugar and milk on my coffee as she sipped on hers, leaning on the counter next to me.

I took a bite of bacon and I heard her say, "I'm glad to see you doing better today, Elle."

I glanced sideways at her and swallowed the food in my mouth, "Yeah... sorry I wasn't really up and about Gummy. I was just... Zayn and I... we got in a fight."

"I heard."

My eyes widened, "You heard?"

"You and Zayn weren't exactly quiet during your argument last Saturday. And I was just in the room next door."