Chapter Twenty-Six

I was back in bed after my long night. But unlike how I always did, I couldn't seem to find comfort under my covers. It was like my soft bed was made of stones. Or maybe it was because I still felt so cold even though I was cocooned under a thick blanket.

I twisted and turned, trying to find a comfortable position. But it wasn't working. Every time I closed my eyes, I could still see what she had shown me. I could still hear the rushing water. I could still see the back of the man, and the outline of his wolf.

My arms would search around my tiny bed, searching for the warmth that could comfort me to sleep. I knew that if he was there, he would wrap me around his arms and whisper that I would be all right. And I knew, I could finally fall asleep.

But Harry wasn't there.

So the images continued to flood my mind, the night replaying itself over and over in my head.

After we had arrived at the Southfire pack house, Dylan went straight to what I only assumed to be a clinic. I thought it was weird that they had a room specifically for this purpose but had more disturbing thoughts in my mind to even think more about it. In fact, I was so absorbed in my thoughts that I hardly even got a glimpse of their pack house.

Dylan gently placed me on the small white bed, and then rummaged through the shelf for whatever he would need to bandage up my arm. Liam had followed us inside, while the rest of Dylan's pack mates remained outside. I heard Dylan say something while pointing to a curtain on one corner of the room.

Liam nodded and I watched him walk behind the thick curtain. When he emerged back out, he was back to being a human. I guess there were some spare clothes back there.

Liam made a beeline next to me as Dylan sat in front of me, gently taking my scratched arm. He inspected it for a while, probably looking if there were any stones or pebbles in it. When he was satisfied, he dabbed it with some antiseptic.

I could feel the sting but I didn't even flinch.

From the corner of my eyes, I could see Liam fidgeting next to me. I turned my attention to him, "I'm so sorry, Liam. I didn't mean to disturb your night with Cat."

He stopped and said, "It's fine. I was just on my way home myself when Louis called anyway."

I nodded and just kind of blankly stared at the wall.

"Where were you, Elle?" Liam asked.

"What do you mean where was I?" I answered after a few seconds.

"You were gone! I mean, even before Louis called me I could tell something was wrong. It was like you weren't there. I mean, I knew you were alive but it felt like you were far away. But that couldn't have been possible because Louis told me you ran into the forest and it's not like you can run away that fast."

Liam waited for an explanation but all I said was, "Oh."

There was a few seconds of silence after Liam let out a frustrated sigh.

"So is that what these tattoos are for?" Dylan said, inspecting my arms. I still couldn't see what they were seeing but I guess the tattoos that mirrored Liam's and Louis' were still there.

"Louis owns the other one, I'm assuming?" Dylan added. "Seeing as he's outside my pack house waiting for you."

I looked at Liam.

"I didn't call him here!" he defensively said. "Alpha Harry probably did it."

"Anyway, I'm all done. Let's go out before Louis starts causing a ruckus outside. Do you need me to carry you, Selene?" Dylan stood up.