Chapter Sixty-Three

"And who are you destined to be?" a woman asked.

"Alpha King, Mother," a seven-year old Dylan answered.

A big smile spread across her face, "And you have to do whatever it takes. Always remember that."

Dylan nodded, his brown eyes fixated on his mother. "Whatever it takes."

The scene blurred and shifted.

I was in the second floor corridor of our house. I could hear something break downstairs, followed by an ear-piercing scream. But it wasn't what caught my attention.

There was blue light emanating from Gummy's room. The door was partially open and so I crept closer. From the gap, I could see Gummy. Blue light enveloped her as she was floated in the air, her head almost scraping the ceiling.

Her arms were spread wide and her eyes were almost white.

And her voice was haunting and ethereal - something all too familiar.

"Her choice shall crown one king of the wolves." Gummy said.

She fell on a heap on the floor after a second. The blue light slowly faded from her skin.

The door suddenly burst open as a woman came scrambling out. She quickly scampered off and I realized that it was her. Dylan's mother was the one who witnessed the prophecy from Gummy.

She ran away with a huge grin on her face as if she already won the prize.

I didn't follow after her. I already knew what would come after this. Instead, I looked back at Gummy. I was surprised that she was already looking at me.

She was still seated on the floor but her eyes were on me.

The door was completely ajar now and her eyes were studying my face.

Could she see me?

But no one could see me during these visions, I was sure of it.

"Gummy?" I whispered and at the same time we both heard the loud cries of a newborn baby downstairs.

"Selene," Gummy said. But I was not sure whether she was referring to the newborn me downstairs or was calling out to me because she could see me.

Before I could find out, the scene blurred and shifted again.

I was back in Southfire territory, in a large, dark room.

Dylan's mother was in bed. She was sickly thin, with hollowed cheeks and pale lips.

The full moon could be seen on the large open window. Jake came in through it a moment later, his face still adorned with the mask she had given him.

"I was waiting for you," she said, every word a struggle to speak out.

"You're not keeping the end of your bargain here, Lilith," he said as he stood next to her bed.

She let out a feeble laugh, "You have to keep your end still, Jake."

Jake remained stoic and still.

"You promised," she added. Her hand reached over her pillow and she pulled out a bronze dagger. Her thin hands pushed it towards him, urging him to take it.

"What more do you want from me, Lilith?" Jake said, his voice tired.

"Everything."

He removed the mask on his face and knelt beside her, placing the white mask on her bed. He had a look of resignation on his face.