Chapter Forty-Nine

One born. One made.
One entwined fate.

Harry. Zayn.
Dylan.

Dylan had always been a part of the prophecy. The Moon Goddess didn't make a mistake when she placed a red string on Dylan that wanted to be tied to me. We were always meant to meet each other even before we were born.

"Can't sleep?" I heard someone say.

My eyes snapped towards the door and saw Dylan's silhouette standing there.

I was still in the Southfire infirmary, with Louis and Liam staying with me. I had decided to stay the night. Maybe not being at home right now could be a good thing for me and my sanity.

Zayn had left shortly after Harry did. I could tell he wanted to stay but some Eastearth wolves were waiting for him outside the Southfire pack house. Dylan had told him he could stay but Zayn's new pack mates kept howling for him.

Dylan had offered for Louis, Liam and I to move into their guest rooms but I shook my head. I didn't want to be alone in a room. So now Liam and Louis were in beds on either side of mine.

They were awake like I was but were pretending to be asleep.

The room was dim and cool. Only a small yellow light at the far corner lit the room.

"I brought you some chamomile tea," Dylan said. "It'll help you relax."

I sat up. "Thank you."

I took a sip of the warm tea as Dylan got a chair to sit next to my bed. Dylan's face was slightly covered in darkness but it was bright enough that I could see the little things I hadn't noticed before. Like how he had thin lips and long lashes. Or how quite a number of moles dotted his face.

I didn't realize I was staring at him until he waved a hand in front of his face. "You look like you have something on your mind."

I took another sip to have something to do. I had also been wondering whether Dylan resembled his Dad or if he had any resemblance with his uncle.

"Where's your Dad right now, Dylan?" I asked.

"He passed away a week after I was born," he stated.

I frowned.

"If you're wondering who ruled my pack then, it was my Mom. Dad left her as acting alpha in my stead. I took over the day I turned 18. Lead Seer Sybil backed her up a lot during that time."

"Where's your Mom now?"

"She died a few months after I became alpha."

"Oh."

So Dylan was like me. He didn't have any family anymore. Or maybe he did.

Maybe we did.

"And your uncle?"

"Dad kicked him and the rest of the rebels out of the pack. Truth be told what they did was punishable by death but I was told Dad was a compassionate Alpha and brother. Couldn't bring it upon himself to kill his own blood so Dad let them go with the promise that should they cross paths again, he was going to kill him."

"Have you seen your uncle again?"

"Nope. And even if I did, I wouldn't know it's him. I don't know what he looks like. Dad had ordered that any remnants of Jake and the rebels be destroyed."

"Why did they revolt anyway?"

Dylan smiled sadly, "My Dad was sick. He was dying and he didn't have an heir yet. Mom just found out she was pregnant with me but nobody really knew for sure whether I'd be born an alpha. It's not a hundred percent guarantee that firstborns are born an alpha. Like Gemma and Harry. Gemma's the firstborn but her wolf is a healer."

I nodded. Harry had mentioned that his sister was a resident doctor in their home pack land.

"So Jake rallied his supporters because he wanted to take over the pack even though he wasn't an alpha. Don't know what he said to them that they believed him," Dylan continued. "From what I heard, he had a warrior wolf. He was one of Southfire's army captains. He took with him some of the best warriors our pack had."

My frown deepened, "Why do packs even have armies? What do you need them for? Wasn't the purpose of having a lead seer to prevent war among all four packs?"

Dylan grinned, "They're precautions, Elle. But really, you should ask the Moon Goddess that question. There's been an increase in warrior wolf births these past years. I mean, even your new rogue is one. Mind asking her why?"

I bit my lip. I didn't know that. The Moon Goddess always did things for a reason. Why was there a need for all these warrior wolves then?

But then Louis interrupted our conversation. His back was still turned from us but we heard him say, "As much as I enjoyed this bedtime story, we all should go rest. Especially you, Elle."

Dylan stood up, "Right. I'll see you all in the morning."

"Yeah. Thank you for the tea," I said.

Dylan came closer to take the cup from me and then gently kissed my forehead, "Good night."

I waited until Dylan had closed the door behind him. "I'm sorry we disturbed you."

"It's fine, Elle. I can't really sleep anyway," Liam said. "Doesn't feel right."

"Maybe it's 'cause we're rogues and we're technically in packland," Louis said.

"Oh. Then maybe we should just go home," I said.

"Don't worry about it, Elle. We'll manage. Besides, we found out a lot today," Louis said. "Let's just take turns sleeping and staying on guard, Liam. Then we can at least have a couple hours of rest each."

"I'll take the first shift," Liam said, sitting up and facing the door. I wanted to say something to him. I knew he was still hurting over seeing Mikhail and Cat earlier today.

"It's fine, Elle. I'll get over it," I heard Liam whisper like he could feel the worry in my gaze.

I sighed. I knew what "fine" meant. But who was I to berate him about something I kept repeating myself.

I just went back to bed and faced Louis. His back was still turned so my eyes wandered to the crown that sat on the bedside table.

I could see my reflection on the silver crown, slightly distorted because of its shape. My eyes locked on to my own reflection and I suddenly felt my eyes get heavy.

I tried hard to keep my eyes open, my vision slightly blurring.

"Weird," I thought. My reflection was staring at me, eyes wide open when I was struggling to keep them open.

Not only that, but I could see my reflection's lips were moving.

I felt my eyes roll back to my head.

They're coming.

He's coming.

They're coming.

Wake up!

My eyes snapped open and I inhaled deeply. I scrambled to sit down and cold sweat ran down my back. I felt someone gripping my shoulders.

"Elle, what's wrong?" Liam asked. Louis was on my other side.

"The-they're coming," I gasped, my voice slightly hoarse.

"What? Who?" Louis asked.

"Fa-father," I croaked.

"What? Whose?" Louis gently rubbed my back.

My eyes darted back and forth to the door and on the wide windows. There wasn't any time to explain.

They were close.

I pushed both boys away. I needed to warn Dylan.

But before my foot hit the floor, a long, menacing howl echoed on the walls of the Southfire pack house.

It was like he was announcing he was here.

He was back to see the pack that had banished him.

A second of silence followed.

And then screams erupted all around us.