Chapter Twenty-One

I stood at the edge of the red circle Liam had just finished making using the sand we had dyed red. The four of us were a mile from the edge of the forest in front of my house.

Louis had said my backyard would be ideal, it being the center of Seralune. However, Harry pointed out that my neighbor could peek in and see what we were doing so this was the closest but safest place we could do it.

It was pretty dark in here. All four of us had flashlights but because of the thick trees, it was still pretty hard to see for more than a few feet from where our flashlights shone. It was very quiet too, only the crunching leaves under our feet were heard. It was weird how I couldn't even hear any crickets, like even they knew we were about to do something and they were watching quietly.

Louis placed the large white crystal we borrowed from Gummy in the middle of the circle. Then he scattered some moonflowers around it.

Louis shone his flashlight on his watch, "Almost time."

I nodded then I undid the ribbon on the dark blue cloak Gummy had given me, revealing the white thin strap silk dress Gummy had also given me. She told me it was appropriate to dress the part and had given me a few of these that had supposedly been in the family for a few generations.

I just hoped I wouldn't stain it with blood.

I heard a sharp intake of breath on my left. I saw Harry staring at me, unmoving and his eyes intently on me like he was drinking in every bit of my appearance.

"Erm, Gummy gave this to me," I explained when Harry didn't say anything.

"Good job, Sybil," I heard Louis say. "She helped get Harry all hot and bothered."

Harry didn't say anything, as if he didn't even hear Louis teasing him. I tucked a stray strand of hair on my ear, hoping it'd hide the deep blush that was blotching my face right now.

Harry took a step forward, never removing his eyes on me. He walked closer and closer until he was barely an inch away from me.

He lightly ran a finger against my cheek, like he was savoring the blushing he had caused. His finger stopped under my chin and he raised my head so that my eyes were on him. Even in the dark I could see the emotions swimming on his eyes. There was curiosity, wonder, pride... and so much desire.

"Stop distracting her, Harry," Louis said, interrupting the moment.

"Yeah, sorry to break it, but it's almost midnight," Liam added.

Harry sighed, and dropped his hand to his side. He reluctantly took out the small silver dagger that was wrapped in black wool cloth that was tucked at the back of his pants. He handed it to me, holding my hand tightly as he did so.

"Be careful, and don't cut too deep," Harry said. "I'll be with Klaus and the others. We'll be surrounding this place to make sure nobody interrupts."

"Thank you, Harry," I said with a small smile of assurance.

"Just call me when you need anything. I'll come running to you," Harry said before he finally left us.

I turned to Louis and Liam.

"You ready, Elle?" Liam asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I said, feeling my heart start to pound.

"Relax, my fair maiden," Louis said while gently patting my shoulder. "You'll do fine."

I didn't reply but instead just walked inside the circle. Both boys followed suit, Louis on my right and Liam was on my left. The circle was large enough for all three of us to fit with room to spare.