Bonus Chapter: Finding Elle

Harry

There was a rumor going around that a white wolf ran the forest of Crystal Oak in the northern region of the country.

The nearby townsfolk who lived there believed the wolf was a guardian of some kind because of the way her skin shimmered under the glow of the moonlight.

In fact, those who were lucky to have seen her attested that they saw her on the first full moon of the year.

It had been eleven years since I last saw Selene.

Time was going slow and fast at the same time - it was almost surreal. The days passed by quickly but every hour was unbearably slow without her beside me.

And before I knew it, eleven years had passed by.

But what I felt for her remained as strong as the day I first saw her.

There was nothing to go on, no clue as to where she could be. I had pored over all the books I could, searching for anything that could tell me where she was. I was scouring over even the remotest of places to find her.

But it was like I was a wolf trapped in the endless dark - tirelessly searching for my fucking lost love.

I pleaded to the air every night. It was her element, after all. It was the gift she had and what helped her when she needed it. Maybe it could help me reach her, whisper to her that I was still here waiting for her to come back like she promised.

She promised.

"Please point me to the direction of my moonlight," I cried to the air every night.

I yearned for her so much that I began seeing her in my dreams. But I always woke up before I could hold her.

So every morning was a slap to my face that she really wasn't there with me.

"Not yet," I would keep telling myself.

I had heard the rumor during one of my travels. I was at a diner on a truck stop, getting some food while answering some text messages from Liam and even a rare one from Louis. I was in the middle of reading Liam's report when I caught drift of the conversation on the booth behind me.

"Yeah, man! Gran told me she saw it running past her window that night - thing was huge she said - almost like a small car. Not like the ordinary ones we see 'round here that's puny, ya know?"

"Then what did it do?"

The man in overalls shrugged, "Just watched it. Said she got goosebumps when it howled. 'Ya know they believe it's a werewolf or something."

I frowned and took a mental note to contact any werewolves who lived in the area and reprimand them about showing themselves to the locals.

"Your Gran was probably just hallucinating. You know how she gets," the woman across the man said.

The man scoffed, "I'll show ya! It's true! The boys and me are gonna go hunt that white wolf tonight and show ya!"

I paused on my phone as the image of Selene's white wolf crossed my mind. I immediately turned around and faced the man.

"Hey, did you say a white wolf?" I asked, trying to contain the hope that was beginning to swell on my chest.

The man's eyes looked at me in confusion, surprised that I was eavesdropping on their conversation.

"Sorry about that. I couldn't help but overhear," I quickly said.

The man just shrugged, "Ya. Shimmering white one, my Gran says."

The hope swelled even bigger.

"And where did your grandmother see this wolf?" I asked, masking my excitement with curiosity.

"If yer thinking about getting ahead of our hunt, then ya got another think coming. I'm not gonna-" The man stopped talking. I could spot his Adam's apple bobbing down as he swallowed down the words he was about to say.

Even this fucking human could sense the danger he had put himself in. My nails tore down on my palm as I tried to control the anger that stormed in my head from what I heard.

Hunt he said. He might not like it when I hunt him for even thinking he could take his buddies and hurt Selene.

"Uh, we should go," the woman meekly said.

I glanced at her and I could see her fold herself smaller on the chair.

I glanced back at the man, "Tell me."

I squeezed everything the man knew about the white werewolf. Like how the first sighting happened only three years ago. Or how the white wolf would howl like it was calling for someone. Or how one person supposedly saw its eyes and saw it had the crescent moon in one eye.

It was like the air finally heard my pleas and it let me know there was hope. That she was somewhere out there.

That she was out here.

That she was now nearby - near me.

That she, too, was also calling for me.

My heart always yearned for her.

And tonight, I was going to find Selene.