Chapter Twenty-Nine

"So do you like it?" Cat asked.

I was wearing a close fitting black velvet jumpsuit, with a plunging keyhole neckline and short sleeves. It was a gift from Cat. She had called that morning telling me that she was coming over so we could hang out and get ready together.

"I do," I said. "Thank you, Cat. It's really comfortable."

We were both in my room, getting ready for the annual full moon party. She was seated on a small stool in front of my vanity table, looking at me through the mirror as she put the finishing touches of her makeup.

"I would've thought you'd be giving me something more... I dunno. Daring, I suppose?" I said, remembering the style of clothes she made me wear as I felt the velvet material under my palm.

Cat shrugged, "Liam said I should get you something you can move in easily so I went with sexy yet comfortable. Oh, wear some large gold hoop earrings too!"

My hand immediately flew to my earlobe where the small silver hoop rested, "I think I'll pass on that one."

Cat turned to me and raised her eyebrow, "So that really is the other pair Zayn got, huh?"

"How did you-"

"Believe it or not, I heard some girls gossiping about his new jewelry at school yesterday," Cat rolled his eyes. "That's not the only gossip I heard about him though."

I didn't reply and just waited for her to continue.

"I heard he broke up with Gail. Well, I did see it on Facebook too. Gail was being weepy about it. Didn't realize you can fit so much fucking crying and broken heart emojis in one post until I saw hers. Plus her friends were talking shit about Zayn too so it wasn't really hard to figure out," she continued, all the while looking closely at how I would react.

"He...?" I asked, puzzled.

"Gail. Ex-girlfriend," she repeated impatiently. "They broke up two days ago, I think. On that night with you and Sybil had dinner with that pack.

I just nodded, my fingers still continuously playing with the small hoop on my ear.

"Cat, erm... were Zayn and I... you know," I slowly asked. "Involved with each other? Like... more than friends?"

She looked at me long and hard like she was thinking how she should answer my question.

"No. You weren't. Just bestfriends." Cat bit her lip and hesitantly said, "But..."

There was a knock on my door. I didn't move to answer and was waiting for Cat to finish her sentence but she quickly stood up and opened the door herself.

Liam was on the other side, holding a branded paper bag. He leaned in and greeted his girlfriend with a small peck on the lips, "Hey, baby."

"You're just in time! Elle and I just finished dressing up," Cat answered almost overly enthusiastic.

Liam smiled and turned to me, holding out the bag for me to take. "Happy birthday, Elle!"

I smiled back. "Thank you, Liam."

I peeked in and saw a shoe box.

"Don't worry, I made sure those match your outfit," Cat quipped.

"And I made sure you can move in them easier than your last shoes. Just in case," Liam said. "Anyhow, we better get going, Cat. Louis and Alpha Harry will be here any minute."

Cat grabbed her purse, stuffing her phone and lip gloss in it. "We'll see you later, okay? We're going to the plaza first and then drop by the factory after."