Chapter Thirty-One

I slowly opened my eyes.

I was still laying on the grass but there was no pain. Not on my shoulder, nor in my heart.

I slowly sat up and glanced at my right shoulder. There was no bullet hole. There was no blood.

I looked up the sky. It was still dark out. But the full moon was nowhere in sight.

"Weird," I thought.

I looked around and found that everyone was gone. There was no wolf, no Louis, no Harry, and no Zayn in sight.

Except for one woman.

She was standing still next to Mom's gravestone. Her back was turned to me but when I finally got a closer look, I felt my heart skip a beat.

"M-mom?" I called.

She slowly turned to me, her dark brown hair swaying with the light breeze. She was wearing a red dress, as red as the blood moon. She looked like how I remembered her to be. There was no blood, no scars, no trace of the accident. She was not broken.

She smiled and beckoned me to come closer.

I stood up and slowly walked next to her.

"Hello, Selene," she finally said.

"Mom!" I cried, wrapping my arms around her. "I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too. Everyday. I'm so sorry I had to leave you on your special day, Selene."

I cried and she patted my back and hugged me until my tears turned into small sniffles. When I composed myself enough to speak properly again, I asked, "What's going on? Where are we? Am I... did I die?"

She looked at her gravestone once again, "We're still at the cemetery. And no, you are not dead."

"Then wha-what happened? Where's Harry? Zayn? Is Zayn okay?" I prodded.

"Come, let's take a walk," Mom took my hand to hers.

Her hand was warm. Not like when I last saw her and her lifeless body was so cold. I squeezed her hand like I was making sure she was real, "What's going on, Mom?"

"It's happening, Selene," she said after a few steps.

I felt my heart drop, "Gummy's prophecy?"

She looked up at the sky but the moon was still nowhere to be found, "It was her warning."

"Her?"

"The Moon Goddess. It's her warning."

"The prophecy's a warning?"

"She's very angry."

"But why?"

"Her wolves... even after she gave Seralune the power to stop the wars, they still would not stop fighting, would not stop shedding the precious blood of their kins. All of them wants to be at the top, to be alpha king," Mom stopped and faced me. "She's very angry."

"But-but then she makes me into the maiden who will choose the alpha king?! That doesn't make sense, Mom!"

"Because there is only one way, Selene. Only one way they think they can become the alpha king," Mom sadly smiled.

"By having the lead seer on their side?" I meekly said.

"They have been trying for generations. Sneakily, behind each other's backs. They underestimate seers until they feel the full powers of the seer tone," Mom chuckled.

It made sense. Seers, Gummy had told me, were the Moon Goddess' representation in the mortal world. The seers possessed the powers to overcome even the strongest alpha. Maybe not physically but, like Mom said, the seer tone was far more powerful than their alpha tone. Having the lead seer on their side made it easy to conquer other packs.

"But I didn't inherit these powers," she continued. "Mother - your grandmother was supposed to be the last, Selene. She is very angry. She didn't want the wolves to have a seer anymore. She wanted them to reveal their true intentions to each other and let them fight their bloody war. But nobody knew that my mother was supposed to be the last. I didn't tell anyone. Neither did Mother. So they still tried. They tried to take me to their side when they failed to take Mother."

"Take you?" I squeaked, fear creeping up to me.

"Your father was a werewolf."

My eyes widened, remembering the vision the moon goddess showed me.

"He was one of the many weres who tried," Mom's smile grew sadder. "I loved him. So I told him the truth. I thought if he really loved me it didn't matter whether I was a seer or not. Then he told me his truth: He had no use of a powerless woman like me. I fell to his trap, too blind to see that he was like many others. He was so angry, so very angry that he..."

She closed her eyes unable to continue. Tears streamed down my face like an endless river.

"He said it was compensation for the time he wasted on me. Without a seer tone of my own, I could not stop him. He left me there and all night I could only cry - cry to the Moon Goddess to help me," she paused as if letting the words hang to the air.

I cried, wailed at the realization that I was born as a result of the greatest tragedy my Mom had to endure.

Mom caressed my cheek and wiped away the tears. "If I only knew... if I only knew she was going to do this and place this burden upon my child I would have kept my cries to myself."

"Mom..."

"She's very angry," Mom repeated. "She could not believe that her werewolves would go to such lengths in their fight for power. They dared to do such horrible, horrible things to each other. To the seers. To us. To me. To you."

"If they want to take seers - her seers - then she'll dictate the terms," she paused, as if giving me a chance to let her words sink in. "You're her last hope, Selene."

"But-but I can't be, I can't do it, Mom! I'm not like you or Gummy! I'm not- no..."

Mom pulled me into a tight hug, "It's going to be all right, Selene."

"Nothing's been all right since you died," I sobbed.

She looked deep into my eyes and said, "She'll be with you. Like I always am."

She took my hand and pulled me to start walking again, "Now come, it's time for you to wake up. A graveyard is no place for you, dear Luna."